News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Antoine (Anton) Simon

Started by giles.enders, Monday 16 May 2011, 10:59

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

Antoine (Anton) Simon 1850-1916 or 1851-1918 depending on which source is accepted.  Is it known if his piano concerto and a symphonic poem both written in Russia are still extant and if so where are the MS. ?

thalbergmad

There are 3 works for piano and orchestra. The name of the 3rd one escapes me at present.

A friend of mine with Russian contacts enquired about the performance material for the concerto, but turned up a blank.

Thal

Gareth Vaughan

The full scores and parts of Danse de Bayaderes, fantaisie pour grand orchestre, Op. 34 and symphonic poem Le Revue de Nuit, (sur le ballade de Joukowsky) Op. 36 are held in the Fleisher Collection.  Copies of the 2-piano score of the Op. 19 PC are held by the BL and the University of London Library. All these pieces were published by Jurgenson of Moscow.

thalbergmad

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Monday 16 May 2011, 19:04
Copies of the 2-piano score of the Op. 19 PC are held by the BL and the University of London Library.

Incredibly, both libraries could not find it when I enquired.

Thal

Gareth Vaughan

How alarming! How long ago was this? Is it time to ask again? Notwithstanding, the 2-piano score is in Sibley and has been uploaded to IMSLP.

thalbergmad

The score at the Senate House Library has been missing for a year. It was on their inventory, but not in the box it was supposed to have been in. I was asked to reapply 6 months later after their refurbishment, but it had not turned up. I then applied to the British Library who advised me they could not find their copy either.

As you no doubt know Gareth, the George Collection at the Senate House Library is stacked full of romantic goodies, but this was not the only piece I had asked for that had vanished. If I had the time and the will to fill out 200 application forms, I would copy the bloomin lot.

Thal

eschiss1

if the Fleischer Collection doesn't have Revue de Nuit (the above seems now ambiguous...) Worldcat lists some other libraries that might (Southern Utah University Gerald Sherratt Lib. Listed as published by Forberg, date not given; Hofmeisters M. lists a Jurgenson publication from 1890 (parts only??) and score (or reprint? ("Part. gr.") in 1893.)

Gareth Vaughan

I don't think there's any doubt about the Fleisher copy of Revue de Nuit. I haven't asked for it, but I have no reason to suppose it is missing.

Joost Kiefte

This month (March 2020) has seen the release of a number of Anton Simon's orchestral works on SACD (on the Dutton Epoch label; BBC Concert Orch. under Martin Yates, piano Victor Sangiorgio):
-Danse de Bayardère (1890)
-Piano Concerto in A-flat major (1886)
-La Revue de Nuit (1890)
-Deux Danses de Don Quixote (1900)
-Plainte Élégiaque (1892)
The Music runs to about 60 minutes. The SACD is fleshed out by Cécile Chaminade's Suite for Orchestra from 1881.

Alan Howe