BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Weigl Symphonies 4 & 6

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 24 September 2019, 17:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

semloh

Thanks, Alan.
I wonder if Capriccio will bless us with the other symphonies in due course. I do hope so. The only other symphonic recording is the 5th and 6th on a 2002 BIS CD.

eschiss1

the 5th wasn't coupled with the 6th, which came out a year later in 2003 also from BIS. I assume when you say "only other symphonic recording" you are not forgetting Capriccio's -own- recording of Weigl's first symphony, recently released. (There were performances broadcast, iirc, preparatory for a possible cpo recording that never materialized, of symphony no.3 and part of no.4, too... at the time I thought someone said that part that was broadcast was all of no.4 that seemed to be performable. Apparently not :) )

semloh

Yes, indeed, Eric. For some reason I thought the 5th and 6th were on the same disc - but of course they are on separate discs. And, yes, I was unaware of the Capriccio recording of the 1st.  :-[

Actually, I knew this all along and was just checking to see if you were on your toes.  ;D

Alan Howe

I don't rate No.4 particularly highly; undoubtedly the best movement is the eloquent final Adagio, but its two predecessors strike me as being rather faceless. Weigl's no match for Franz Schmidt, I'm afraid.