Vasily Kalafati (1869-1942)

Started by Christopher, Monday 02 December 2019, 12:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher

My copy finally arrived yesterday.  My first thought on the Legend piece is that it sounds like film music (for a fantasy-type movie - Danny Elfman sprang to mind) - this isn't a criticism, not least as Kalafati pre-dates most film music.  It's certainly an unusual piece in terms of "what is it"?  Not a symphony, not an overture or tone-poem, etc...  I agree re the above comment on the polonaise - a typical "official" piece with bombast.  I haven't listened all the way through the symphony yet.

terry martyn

Today, there is another review on Musicweb.  You will understand its profundity when you read the section about the Polonaise.

Christopher

Quote from: terry martyn on Thursday 17 September 2020, 09:02
Today, there is another review on Musicweb.  You will understand its profundity when you read the section about the Polonaise.

Perhaps you could share the link....

terry martyn

If I knew how to do links, I would gladly do so, but I have always been technologically challenged!   I just googled musicweb international and the review came up.   

Trying to be charitable, perhaps some of what the reviewer wrote about the history behind the Legends piece became misplaced in composition, and ended up in his Polonaise section.

Mark Thomas

Even better, here's the direct link to the review, which certainly reflects my take on these three works.

Christopher

Quote from: terry martyn on Thursday 17 September 2020, 10:09
If I knew how to do links, I would gladly do so, but I have always been technologically challenged! 

- Highlight the link
- Right click
- Select COPY
- Come into this site
- In the dialogue box that you are posting a comment in, right click
- Select PASTE
- That's it

Alan Howe

I'm afraid my take on the Kalafati CD is that I'm glad to have it, but that's about all...