Andrés Gaos Symphonies

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 28 March 2011, 22:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

How about these two intriguing-sounding symphonies by the Galician composer Andrés Gaos (1874-1959)?...
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Andre-Gaos-Symphonien-Nr-1-2/hnum/2275284
More info here...
http://www.andresgaos.com/home.html

Mark Thomas

Those excerpts are very tempting....

alberto

I know the second Symphony "En las montanas de la Galicia" through a 1995 CD Arte Nova (74321 27778 2) with the same performers as the "new" one. Maybe the performance of the Symphony is the same.
The CD slept untouched (but not forgotten in contents, at least not completely) for years.
The Symphony (more a Suite in disguise) is a tryptich. Pictorial and descriptive music; folksy, but not too hot. The (loose) notes in booklet say that second and third movementes were composed during 1912-1917 and the first in.... 1953 (English version or 1959 -the very year of Gaos death?- according to the German version of the same text; French version dos not take side).
The Arte Nova CD , instead of the first Symphony, contains music without national marks.
A "Fantasy for violin and orchestra" rather in the style of Saint-Saens (composed "perhaps" in 1904). An impressive "Impresion nocturna" of 1937. A very impersonal (and very short) "Suite a la antigua" in three movements (1898).
The Arte Nova Cd does not mention even the years of birth or death of poor Gaos. 

eschiss1

It says 1994-2009 on jpc, i.e. recordings from 1994 to 2009, so at least one recording on the 2-CD set dates from the mid-1990s - at a guess? probably the Gaos symphony no.2, yes. when we can find out the track timings andante mosso-andante - allegro moderato (11:53/11:03/8:56 on the Arte Nova, I gather?) if they nearly match (allowing for gaps between tracks, and whatnot artifacts of remastering) on this new release, that should be good evidence indeed.

alberto

The Arte Nova recording states that all the works (Symphony n.2 plus the other three) were recorded in La Coruna, Spain , in July 1994.
The timings for Symphony n.2 are : 11' 48"/ 10' 57"/ 8' 46".
Casuality of prices: I have paid any Arte Nova (always in shops) the equivalent of roughly 5, 00 € (more or less), fifteen years ago or one month ago. I can still find some Arte Nova "stocked" always at that price. The few still stocked remaining belong to the "major"  repertoire.
Now it appears that the old Gaos Arte Nova reappers in a different label coupled to a recent recording, but offered at a much more expensive price.

jerfilm

Has anyone found a download site for these two cds?

Jerry