Previous topic - Next topic

Reverie

Abert, Johann Joseph (1832-1915)

Symphony No.5 (1869)

I. Adagio - Allegro
II. Scherzo   -  12'  25''
III. Adagio  -  19' 40''
IV. Finale. Allegro maestoso  -  28' 20''

40 mins in length. All the princial themes for each movement are introduced from the ouset in the opening Adagio

LINK:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxTbwhNYIDc

Alan Howe

I'm really excited about this - and I haven't even listened to it yet!

Mark Thomas

This is terrific, Martin. The opening is so atmospheric - yet another discovery in store. Thanks once again.

Alan Howe

It sounds to me quite an advance on Symphony No.4 - much more complex harmonically and rhythmically. It no longer sounds like another composer: surely this Abert emerging as a fully-fledged, individual symphonist. Marvellous! Thanks ever so much for undertaking this work.

Reverie

It has an individual stamp doesn't it. Quirky but in the confines of symphonic form. You can't really say it sounds like ...... ??

Mark Thomas

This is a strong piece with a distinct personality and, as Reverie mentions, some individuality. Despite the quite lengthy outer movements it doesn't outstay its welcome and the finale in particular is better than many mid-romantic era examples. Although comparison with its predecessor, the Columbus Symphony, is perhaps difficult to make because of that piece's overtly programmatic character, the artistic distance between the 5th and the non-programmatic 3rd Symphony of 1856 is extremely marked. Attractive work that it is, that's a much more conventional, predictable and, at 30 minutes, shorter work with none of the 5th's harmonic, melodic or rhythmic variety. Once again, thanks to Martin for his sterling work in giving us the chance to hear it.

adriano

Abert's Opera "Ekkehard" (available on Capriccio) and his tone poem "Columbus" (coupled with his concerto and variations for double bass and orchestra, available on Bayer) are also worth of consideration. The part of Ekkehard is sung by Jonas Kaufmann, then 31 years old.

Alan Howe

QuoteThe part of Ekkehard is sung by Jonas Kaufmann, then 31 years old.

..and much lighter-sounding.

terry martyn

The Columbus occasionally pops up on amazon.de. Unsure whether you can buy it directly from the label anymore.

adriano

Yes indeed, Alan

And that is the only Kaufmann recording I keep :-)

I also remember a September 2000 production of Paƫr's "Lenore" in Winterthur - produced by the Zurich Opera - where he sang quite beautifully.
(I was stage rehearsal's assistant and prompter...)

Somebody pirated an aria and published it on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0ajPznROL4

Mark Thomas

But to return to Abert's 5th Symphony....

tpaloj

Myself, I'm of two minds with this symphony. I would congratulate the composer in having avoided all pretenses of conventionality and having composed something that's entirely his own. I'll have to listen to the first movement again, but on first hearing it felt disjointed and trivial. I was hooked again with the Andante and as Mark already pointed out, the Finale is far better than most - even brilliant: such engaging music kept me on the edge of my seat. In its best moments, Abert has managed to compose something really special, but on its lowest moments - like the Scherzo's awful trio - it's almost painful to try to follow along.

Again, Martin, your brilliant work with these recreations never disappoints!

Reverie

Thanks tpaloj

A sound critique there.

The Finale is wonderful no question there.

As for the 2nd mov (Scherzo) I agree with your sentiments. The trio is perhaps weak. It smacks of being a filler from an early sketch from something else. However the lively outer parts are wonderful. I love those pumping bassoons and then that legato melody that slides over everything.