News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Franck: Ghiselle

Started by mikehopf, Friday 19 February 2021, 01:42

Previous topic - Next topic

adriano

Thanks, Mark, for your editing work!
I enjoyed this opera very much. The 1987 Radio podcast ist of rather good quality - although it sounds as if it has been slightly electronically "enhanced".
But the opera goes only for about 140 minutes, which is far away from 4 hours...
It's crazy all these exciting operas French, French-Dutch and Wallon-French composers were producing during that period!

In various passages of acts 2-4 one already hears Franck`s Symphony in D Minor. Including, in the 2d act, the use of the Cor Anglais, which at that time critics considered an "out of place instrument in a true Symphony".

Magic Hands

Thank you so much for your contribution! I'm translating Fauquet's seminal book on Franck. In case anyone is interested, here is the synopsis from there:

This " drame lyrique " without ballet is set in Paris at the end of the 6th century, during the regency of Frédégonde and the reign of the young king Clotaire II, when the Neustrians had just triumphed over the Austrians. Act I is set in the great hall of the Palace of the Baths. A martial prelude follows with the chorus of Gallic and Gallo-Roman nobles celebrating the victorious Franks and the valour of their leader Gonthram (tenor, Christian hero), who is loved by the terrible Frédégonde (falcon soprano). But Gonthram, who makes his entrance to the sound of an extended choral march, is in love with Ghiselle (soprano, pagan heroine), a beautiful and proud Austrian of royal blood 'for twenty years * captive in the court of Neustria'. There follows a drinking scene, launched by a song by Theudebert ('O Gallic wine'), which has the merit of being short. Theudebert demands that, as is customary, a poet should come and sing a triumphant bardit. But Frédégonde orders Ghiselle to be brought in because 'no poet at my court improvises better'. Gonthram's emotion at the idea of seeing his beloved again is expressed in a superb theme which reappears in the following acts, again in the orchestra, to refer to Ghiselle and the love for her. Frédégonde orders Ghiselle to improvise a heroic song. Instead, the prisoner sings an energetic "war story" in which, invoking her gods, she exalts her own race and curses the victors. She is jeered at by the assembly, which demands vengeance. By protecting her, Gonthram reveals his love for the beautiful captive, thus arousing the jealousy of Frédégonde. In a "seduction scene", she tries to attract Gonthram, who rejects her. Duet then trio. In revenge, the queen offers Ghiselle as a slave to her feudal Theudebert (baritone). Ghiselle, in a proud vocal assault, rebels against this humiliation. Gonthram challenges Theudebert to a duel.
A clearing at the entrance to the woods surrounding Paris forms the setting for Act II. The theme of the very beautiful prelude, slow and calm, in Franck's favourite F sharp minor key, is associated with the character of Gudruna (mezzo-soprano), a fallen Austrian queen, sorceress, priestess of the cult of Odin. She invokes the spirits, certain that Ghiselle, her daughter, who was once taken from her, still lives. She melancholically recalls the song she used to sing to her ('Alas, what land is there for you, / Bird that the fowler has taken from me, / My beautiful lily, my pale flower, / My little child, my Ghiselle?) This sad and sweet song, with its modal character, admirably crafted, will play a decisive dramatic role in Act IV. The scene is one of the emotional high points of the score. Gonthram arrives to confront Theudebert. Gudruna asks him for alms. "Take," he tells him, "but only in the name of the Lord Jesus." But to thank him, Gudruna invokes Herta, wife of the god Odin [alias Wotan], and predicts a fatal fate for Gonthram. Theudebert appears followed by Ghiselle, while Gudruna has been hidding behind the bushes! The fight leads to a trio. Throwing herself at the foot of a cross, Ghiselle promises to be converted if Gonthram wins the duel. As a sign from heaven, Theudebert is wounded. But as befits the first tenor in such circumstances, Gonthram makes a noble gesture: "I will be merciful, but I will keep Ghiselle!" Then flow tears of happiness from the aforementioned. The lovers swear to be each other's forever. At the sound of the bells of the basilica, they place themselves under divine protection, then unite in a duet which is soon interrupted by horn calls announcing the arrival of Frédégonde and her leudes*. The queen ironically addresses Ghiselle with a "Salut, prudish captive!" Furious that fate has brought Gonthram and Ghiselle together, Frédégonde decides to lock Ghiselle up in a convent. Gonthram challenges Frédégonde and her retinue. A grand ensemble, as eventful as it should be. Gonthram is bested by Theudebert and falls. Ghiselle cries out her hatred and pain. She is led away by the leudes. To the music of the act's prelude, the old Gudruna heals Gonthram, while the song's encore brings peace.
   The setting for Act III is the baptistery of St Stephen's adjoining the Basilica of St Mary. It is night. A few bars introduce the ceremony performed by Bishop Ambrosius (bass) during which he consecrates Ghiselle, who believes Gonthram to be dead, as deaconess. The queen enters, insults and mocks her. Scandalised by this blasphemy, Ambrosius confronts Frédégonde and then tries with pious words to appease Ghiselle. But she evokes Gonthram while the Miserere is being chanted in the adjacent basilica. Gonthram appears and threatens the bishop, whose authority he contests for the one he loves. Ambrosius casts a curse on the lovers. He abandons them at the foot of the altar and leaves, accompanied by the deacons. Ghiselle, overwhelmed with guilt, has lost her mind and does not recognise Gonthram. The doors of the baptistery are closed and set on fire. Part of the building collapses, and Gonthram flees, taking Ghiselle by force. The two of them cross the Seine in a boat under the cover of darkness.
   Act IV introduces us to Gudruna's dilapidated hut. The prelude is reminiscent of the one in Act II. The sorceress tries to find out the fate of her daughter by means of occult practices. Gonthram arrives, followed by Ghiselle: chased by the leudes and people who want to put them to death, they ask Gudruna for asylum. Gudruna, fearing the wrath of Frédégonde, refuses at first. Ghiselle, dazed, sees in her lover the devil. She takes refuge in Gudruna's arms, who cradles her, singing the song she heard in Act II. To Gudruna's astonishment, Ghiselle herself completes the song: the old queen has found her daughter, but she will soon lose her. She consecrates Ghiselle's union with Gonthram according to pagan rites, Ghiselle tragically confuses the horn calls of Frederick's leudes with those of her brothers, whom she imagines to be returning victorious from the battle against the Neustrians. As the troop approaches the hut, Gonthram draws his dagger. But Gudruna proposes to the lovers that they be saved from Christian fanaticism by the gentler means of poison. Death as the ultimate pleasure is celebrated in a trio. Gonthram and Ghiselle die in peace. Gudruna promises them the immortality of Walhalla. She invokes Odin so that "love in dreams without awakening, lulls their eternal sleep forever". When soldiers and commoners crowd the entrance to the hut, Gudruna shows them the two lovers lying dead.

This is still a first draft, so bear with me!