Norman O'Neill Piano Trio, Cello Sonata, etc.

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 02 March 2022, 11:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Eastick

This CD would seem to consist entirely of world premieres, and therefore, as not duplicating anything on the earlier EM Records release, complements it admirably! A certain must-have for me! Now, being greedy, lets us have some of O'Neill's orchestral music please!

semloh

Not knowing the music of Norman O'Neill, I was looking for some excerpts from this, but without success. However, I did see that there is a little of his music on YT, including a couple of orchestral pieces and a complete CD of his chamber works for piano and strings: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mXJyEhoTBOg8eDW8aCYcfXDTj47BYAskk

Mark Thomas

Pleasant enough music, but nothing earth shattering. Or maybe I'm just grumpy tonight?

semloh

Your description of the music fits the CD on YT quite well, I think, Mark. I love the delicacy, so well captured by the Bridge Quartet; and I don't think O'Neill was setting out to be earth shattering, In fact, I imagine him feeling quite satisfied at these works being described as 'pleasant' - especially by a discerning, perhaps even "grumpy", critic!  ;D

Mark Thomas

Thanks, Colin - but I definitely was grumpy last night!