News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Julian Clifford 1877-1921

Started by giles.enders, Wednesday 13 April 2011, 11:14

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

Julian Clifford 1877-1921.  Is there a definitive list of his works and if there is are they in one place? 

eschiss1

if not ,one could start. "his most successful composition" (at the concert of his works, I think this meant - this was about a concert where his music was featured and others were played also- Musical Times June 1 1903 page 407) "was an orchestral suite in D , a work consisting of four movements of bright character. An orchestral ballad and a Concertstück in E minor for piano and orchestral are praiseworthy achievements, but deficient in originality. Mrs. Julian Clifford sang with taste and refinement..."

Another Musical Times (April 1 1911) mentions an Overture to the New Year of his evolved from an Ode, and a song-cycle A Dream of Flowers again sung by his wife.  He conducted at least part of the concert. (This Ode: Ode to the New Year, for Solo Quartet, Chorus and Orchestra, words by M. Clifford, etc. Published by Ashdown, 1914. An arrangement of that ode can be found at one of the British Library sections- Pancras I think. A Dream of Flowers found a publisher sooner- assuming the ode did wait until 1914... - Chappell, 1905 for the song cycle.)

Hrm. Also, if you can find it, there is an article by Frances Williams entitled "Julian Clifford" in volume 118, April 1977 issue of the Musical Times, no 1610, starting page 301. It might contain such a list? At least, worth a look.

eschiss1

while one's tracking down that Musical Times article;
another from 1913 mentions that he performed a piano concerto no.1 in E minor (of his own, I mean, and so labeled suggesting perhaps a no.2 by 1913; related to the Concertstück above perhaps?...) in that year (more positively that time, and the US Library of Congress Catalog of Copyright Entries for 1913 has
"Fairy Fancies; intermezzo von Julian Clifford für salon orchestra. 4to. © Sept. 15 1913; 2 c. Oct.1 1913; E 313663. B Schott's söhne. Mainz, Germany".
(ah, Schott- Eric's interjection) Anyhow. ... hrm. Luck! (British Library St Pancras Reading Rooms has Fairy Fancies too. Quite unusually for BL catalog, they give the plate no. - 29842. this is useful to me as a plate/date compiler...)