Noskowski Violin Sonata

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 09 September 2022, 22:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Febct

The Sonata also appears on an Acte PrĂ©alable (AP 248) disc, coupled with other really lovely works by this composer.  So there's no need to face up to still another Franck Sonata and, instead, have more interesting and unsung works to explore.

The disc includes a Chansonnette d'Ukraine which, although folksy in design, has to me a tinge of sadness, given the present circumstances in that country.

Gareth Vaughan

Agreed. Most of us will already have Franck's sonata. Nevertheless, it is good that Noskowski's has been given another recording - and perhaps interesting to compare the performances.

Febct

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Saturday 10 September 2022, 18:06Agreed. Most of us will already have Franck's sonata. Nevertheless, it is good that Noskowski's has been given another recording - and perhaps interesting to compare the performances.

Yes, indeed.  But, given the cornucopia of riches coming from the enterprising labels often mentioned here, I find myself using my listening time for those newly-discovered works, rather than doing lots of doubling up for comparisons. Some really do invite a second opinion, others satisfy me on the first spin.

Alan Howe

It rather depends on the quality of the performance, doesn't it? If this is better, then it's the logical choice.

Febct

Yes, that would be logical, but:  Does one always keep searching for the "better" quality?  Where do you stop and say that one is satisfied?  Do you keep adding horizontally to your collection as new issues emerge of a certain piece, on the chance that you'll find a more appealing (i.e.: better) performance?  Unless I am to a certain extent unhappy with a particular recording - for whatever reason - I'd prefer to spend my shekels and my time on something new.  Horses for courses.

Anyway - sorry to jolt this thread off course.  Apologies.

Alan Howe

No problem - I understand your point. However, if you're starting from scratch with Noskowski's Violin Sonata, you surely want the best recording. And the search won't exactly be a long one...

Febct

Quote from: Alan Howe on Saturday 10 September 2022, 22:44No problem - I understand your point. However, if you're starting from scratch with Noskowski's Violin Sonata, you surely want the best recording. And the search won't exactly be a long one...

That's a fact.  ;)   Thanks.

Alan Howe

And if one already has a recording, then look no further. Perhaps.

Febct

Yes, perhaps.  But that's what I tried to say in my earlier posts. It all depends...

Alan Howe

I'll always go for a better recording if I think the piece is important enough.

Febct

"Important enough"  Those are the key words and I entirely agree.  I wouldn't hold the Noskowski sonata in that category - it's lovely but, for me, doesn't rise to your standards for seeking a better rendition.

I read you, of course, and so I think we've now exhausted our opinions re dear Zygmunt.

eschiss1

or anyway re this work and for now; we've covered his fine symphonies and some other works too, but elsewhere.