Parry oratorio "Judith" - Chandos recording

Started by Sharkkb8, Sunday 09 February 2020, 02:56

Previous topic - Next topic

khorovod

Quote from: Alan Howe on Wednesday 26 February 2020, 23:53
QuoteAs I understood it, the recording stems from the conductor's interest in and revival of the piece rather than the label took it upon themselves to record it but decided they'd do it on the cheap.

I don't understand this sentence, sorry. Could be me. Are you saying that Chandos took it on because it meant doing it on the cheap?

Replying to your edited addition,no. I am suggesting Chandos did not instigate a revival on the cheap to record but they  were inspired to record it because a revival was in the offing already, with the conductor and LMP.

Gareth Vaughan

That is what I took you to mean. But I can also see why Alan found your sentence confusing.

Alan Howe

QuoteHad you not deleted my posts where I replied and clarified what I meant

There was no clarification in your posts at all - merely irrelevant comments about the VPO and the need to appreciate what we have.

Thank you, though, for clarifying what you meant about Chandos and doing things on the cheap.

Alan Howe

QuoteMann's advocacy

The conductor is William Vann.

patmos.beje

QuoteI think it might be sensible for all of us to reserve judgement until we have heard the recording - properly, I mean, because we all know that snippets on sellers' websites can sometimes be misleading in terms of sound quality

The recording has been available as a lossless download since late January.  I am grateful to have it even if it doesn't have the orchestral forces that would have been available to it when premiered.

eschiss1

Just noticed that the manuscript full score can be browsed at various places @ issuu.com, if that interests people. Eg Judith Act I Scene II.

dmitterd

Quote from: eschiss1 on Wednesday 17 June 2020, 12:17
Just noticed that the manuscript full score can be browsed at various places @ issuu.com, if that interests people. Eg Judith Act I Scene II.
I believe the full manuscript is available at IMSLP too.

cheers,
Daniel

eschiss1

Alan Howe

Does anyone have anything further to add about this recording in light of the forthcoming release of Prometheus Unbound?