News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Mona McBurney 1862-1932

Started by giles.enders, Saturday 26 February 2011, 12:26

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

Does any one know if the score for 'The Northern Ballad for piano and orchestra' 1907 by Mona McBurney is still extant.. McBurney was born in the Isle of Mann and later went to Australia.

Pengelli

A Manx composer?! This is interesting. I don't think I'm aware of any other composers of that 'nationality',or 'neck of the woods'. I wonder if there are any others who emanate from that island?

khorovod

Quote from: Pengelli on Saturday 26 February 2011, 17:09
A Manx composer?! This is interesting. I don't think I'm aware of any other composers of that 'nationality',or 'neck of the woods'. I wonder if there are any others who emanate from that island?

Haydn Wood IIRC. Mostly a light music composer but I think there are some (bit more substantial (not that I don't like his light music, just by comparison!)) Manx inspired works on the Marco Polo disks of his music, kind of tone poems or rhapsodies maybe? I don't have the disks to hand to check, sorry. There were 2 volumes.

Ilja

Also, of course, the wonderfully dramatic piano concerto on Hyperion, and a very worthwhile Violin Concerto. Still, born in Yorkshire so not an ethnically Manx composer...

thalbergmad

Quote from: giles.enders on Saturday 26 February 2011, 12:26
Does any one know if the score for 'The Northern Ballad for piano and orchestra' 1907 by Mona McBurney is still extant.. McBurney was born in the Isle of Mann and later went to Australia.

The University of Melbourne have the 2 piano score, so perhaps they might have the full score uncatalogued.

http://cat.lib.unimelb.edu.au/search~S30?/aMcBurney+/amcburney/1%2C20%2C47%2CB/frameset&FF=amcburney+mona&1%2C%2C2                                                                                                                 

It bears a Novello plate number of 13038, so it might be worth checking with them as well.

Thal