Romantic Piano Concerto, Vol. 60: Dubois

Started by FBerwald, Thursday 14 March 2013, 11:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

jerfilm

FBerwald

Has Dubois's music been properly cataloged?

giles.enders

I have a recording of Theodore Dubois 1837-1924, violin concerto.  It was composed in 1897 and is on the BNL label.  The violinist is Frederick Pelassy with the National Philharmonic Orchestra, Kosice. It is a delightful work. Dubois won The Prix de Rome in 1861.

eschiss1

You forgot unwritten but in-practice rule one about this forum, I think- music outside the ambit of this forum may be mentioned, so long as the mention is brief, and more or less negative.
Ah well, erm?
As to the Dubois, it was published in 1897, not sure when it was composed. Seems to be a good piece from the orchestral score/parts (w/o solo part) I've seen, I haven't yet heard it.

FBerwald

Quote from: Alan Howe on Thursday 14 March 2013, 13:04
Very nice indeed - although we already have a recording of PC2:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Th%C3%A9odore-Dubois-Concerto-Frithiof-Overture/dp/B007CMTNG6/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1363266292&sr=1-1

The Hyperion recording is not on a period instrument so the sound is [in my opinion.. for the 2nd concerto] way better than the previous recording!

Alan Howe

You are probably right. My post was for information purposes only.

Alan Howe

Quote from: eschiss1 on Monday 18 March 2013, 12:31
You forgot unwritten but in-practice rule one about this forum, I think- music outside the ambit of this forum may be mentioned, so long as the mention is brief, and more or less negative.

Actually, we'd prefer no mention at all. As for negativity - well, there's plenty of music which I personally like but which falls outside our guidelines. We just want to keep UC within manageable boundaries that conform to our shared preferences...

Alan Howe

The excerpts at Hyperion's website sound magnificent. Another must-buy!

ken