News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Ruth Gipps (1921-1999)

Started by albion, Saturday 02 April 2011, 08:45

Previous topic - Next topic

albion

Listening to the 1948 Piano Concerto by Ruth Gipps has been a very pleasurable experience indeed. I've (hopefully) just found and ordered the ClassicO recording of Symphony No.2 (1945)

and it would be great to have more of her music available, particularly the 3rd and 4th symphonies:

Symphony No.3, Op.57 (1966) was broadcast in 1969 with the composer conducting the BBC Scottish SO

Symphony No.4, Op.61 (1972) was broadcast on 3/5/1983 with John Pritchard conducting the BBC Scottish SO

The fourth symphony in particular was extremely highly rated by the dedicatee Sir Arthur Bliss, who wrote to Gipps before the 1973 premiere -

[I have] "conducted" through the symphony with great excitement. It is a finely vigorous and stimulating work even on first acquaintance. [The first movement is] beautifully shaped [...] I want you to know how proud I am of it.

And afterwards -

You have given me a splendid work, so varied and inventive. I am sure that no critic, who did not have the good fortune that I had, to follow its progress in the full score, could rightly judge your achievement. It is a big work, and full of fascinating detail [...] You were aware, I am sure, of the impact that this work made, as you conducted it.

If there are copies of the 1969 and 1983 broadcasts out there, please get in touch and hopefully add these intriguing works to the broadcasts archive.   :)

eschiss1

I am now reminded I had a tape of her "Leviathan" for contrabassoon and orchestra (1969) at one point... will look for that.

albion

This would probably be the following performance -

Val Kennedy, contrabassoon/ BBC Welsh SO/ Vernon Handley (br. 29/7/1976)

- and would be a great addition to the archive. If you can locate the tape I would be happy to transfer it.  :)

JimL

Martin (mbhaub) would probably be interested in that, too!  That's his instrument. :D

albion

Quote from: eschiss1 on Saturday 02 April 2011, 22:38I am now reminded I had a tape of her "Leviathan" for contrabassoon and orchestra (1969) at one point... will look for that.

Eric, has the monster risen to the surface yet?

???

Dundonnell

Quote from: Albion on Friday 21 October 2011, 23:24
Quote from: eschiss1 on Saturday 02 April 2011, 22:38I am now reminded I had a tape of her "Leviathan" for contrabassoon and orchestra (1969) at one point... will look for that.

Eric, has the monster risen to the surface yet?

???

I have it ;D

.......and shall of course upload it :)

(Mediafire is currently driving me insane. I am having great difficulty getting mp3 files uploaded on the wretched site >:()

albion

Quote from: Dundonnell on Friday 21 October 2011, 23:31I have it ;D

.......and shall of course upload it :)

(Mediafire is currently driving me insane. I am having great difficulty getting mp3 files uploaded on the wretched site >:()

As a seasoned user of mediafire, you come to accept that frustration is a cross that must be borne -

gasman

Can't wait to hear it!

Listening to Sym No 5 as I write - this is a really good piece and very well structured indeed.....

vandermolen

Her 4th Symphony is a fantastic work - her masterpiece I think, which badly needs a Dutton type recording.

Gareth Vaughan

I couldn't agree more. It's a wonderful score and deserves a first-rate recording. Indeed, she deserves a symphonic cycle by Chandos with a first class orchestra and conductor.

Dundonnell

Following the upload today of two more works by Ruth Gipps, including her Symphony No.3, it might be worth drawing members' attention to this article about the composer:

http://www.concertino-goettingen.de/Programme/ruth_gipps.html

Christo

Incredible. Almost a complete set of her symphonies available, now.

So far, I guessed the Fourth to be her masterpiece (she can hardly have surpassed that one) and really enjoying the wonderful Second very much, I'm now urged to play so many more of her compositions.

That there's just one problem left. Time.  8)

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on Tuesday 20 December 2011, 18:57
Incredible. Almost a complete set of her symphonies available, now.

So far, I guessed the Fourth to be her masterpiece (she can hardly have surpassed that one) and really enjoying the wonderful Second very much, I'm now urged to play so many more of her compositions.

That there's just one problem left. Time.  8)

There must always be time for Ruth Gipps  8)

Nice VW quote  ;)

thalbergmad

Amongst the pile of dusty old books I got for Xmas was this letter written by Ruth Gipps.

Thought it might be of interest.

Thal

isokani

Manx tails .... I love that.
And I miss 10 Stratford Place too. That passing is really sad.