Stenhammar piano concertos on Naxos

Started by pianoconcerto, Wednesday 06 April 2011, 04:23

Previous topic - Next topic

albion

Quote from: JimL on Saturday 09 April 2011, 22:43
I put my CDs back in my collection, but I remember that the 1st is on BIS and the 2nd is coupled with the Tor Aulin 3rd VC.  I think that's on Sterling, but don't hold me to it.

I'm surprised that nobody has espoused the Jarvi recordings on BIS -

Concerto No.1 (Love Derwinger, piano/ Malmo SO/ Paavo Jarvi) -
15'25, 4'43, 11'27, 13'51

Concerto No.2 (Cristina Ortiz, piano/ Gothenburg SO/ Neeme Jarvi) -
9'28, 6'42, 5'50, 6'42

Excellent performances which are included in the comprehensive four-disc Stenhammar survey that is CD-714/716

:)

Alan Howe

Personally, I wouldn't opt for the BIS survey. The performances of the symphonies in particular aren't as good as those on the DG recordings made with the same forces. Just an opinion, but...

petershott@btinternet.com

Yes, truly excellent performances. And worth saying that all the performances here are also excellently recorded. They were first issued in the early to mid 1990s, and in those relatively early days of the CD medium BIS seemed to have no difficulty in arranging first class recordings - unlike some then major companies whose recordings often seemed harsh and somehow artificial. End of slight excursion on 'hi fi', and apologies for it since UC is about far more important matters than the reproduction of sound important though that may be!

JimL

I actually have a CD with Love Derwinger, but the other works on the CD are the two Sentimental Romances for violin and orchestra and the ballad Florez and Blanzeflor for baritone and orchestra.  I have the other CD in my hand, also.  It's a Musica Sveciae release with Greta Erikson on piano and the Radiosymfonikerna conducted by Svetlanov.

alberto

I thank Ilja for reply 14, useful to me .
Indeed the Sterling LP of 1976 states that the orchestration was by Atterberg and about the loss of the original orchestral parts: and I didn't know the follow up. Belonging to a begone era, that LP had, on the cover, notes only in Swedish, with a very short page in English (as "typed" from a typewriter) inserted inside.

JimL

The Derwinger, IIRC, was the world premiere recording of the original Stenhammar orchestration.

eschiss1

iirc they found the orchestral parts in the Library of Congress- another case, as with Raff's 1st violin concerto, of a European work's lost score or parts making a transatlantic voyage. (I wonder if in the case of the Raff Joseph Kaspar asked for a copy by mail?... Rochester isn't that near Owego, but... ah well. never mind)
Eric

Gerhard Griesel

15:34 for the first concerto?  Maybe you meant 25:34.  I don't care how fast you take it, that whole 3 movement concerto isn't going to clock in at under 25 minutes.
[/quote]

Sorry Jim and others! I inadvertently qouted the length of the first movement.  In fact, on the Hyperion version PC 1 is 45:53 and 2 is 29:21

M. Henriksen

Finally this recording will be released on CD.

http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.572259

Available at amazon 31st of October and jpc 21st of November.

Morten