News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Victor Vreuls on Cypres

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 22 April 2011, 23:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

eschiss1

I know of him because of his En Ardenne suite for piano (pub.1918) at IMSLP- there's also a piano trio op.1 there. The suite seems quite interesting...
Eric

jerfilm

This sounds interesting but does anyone know of it's availability outside of directly from Cypres?   

Jerry

Peter1953

Yes, in Germany. View here
.... and in the UK, see this

BTW, I read somewhere that Vreuls composed amongst some other music also a symphony (in 1899).

eschiss1

the symphony is published by Chester Novello and listed here. (Actually, they list it but no record of whether they publish it or when they started publishing it. Don't know if it's been performed, either.)

jerfilm

Has anyone discovered a US distributor of this CD?

Jerry

britishcomposer

The first sonata was broadcast - by SWR2 I think - a few weeks ago. I recorded it just because his name was unknown to me. (You all suffer probably from the same virus... ;))
Finely crafted though it is the work didn't catch my interest very long. It followes the lines of say Franck and d'Indy.

jerfilm

I finally got my hands on a copy; arrived today from Presto Classics in Warwickshire.  I find them to be lovely, easy to listen to sonatas.  Maybe nothing terribly heavy but good melodies. 

Jerry

jerfilm

Does anyone have an interest in this composer besides me?

I have an old radio tape of his Symphonic Poem, Jour de fete if anyone is interested?

Others???

Jerry

Latvian

QuoteI have an old radio tape of his Symphonic Poem, Jour de fete if anyone is interested?

Yes, please!

eschiss1

btw I note that one of his violin sonatas (I think) will be performed by Eliot Lawson and Diane Andersen in Brussels next March... which I now remember is what this whole thread was about in the first place ;) well, it's good they're performing them and not just recording them, I think (and from several searches done, in several places in the last and forthcoming year, I believe). Can't always be said.

eschiss1

Belated response, Victor Vreuls violin sonatas on Cypres - US distributor: Records International, as of Oct. 2012.