News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

RPC Vol. 54

Started by FBerwald, Sunday 01 May 2011, 08:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth Vaughan

The score of the Highland Concerto is unpublished and exists in MS only. Parts were made up specially for the Hyperion recording. The same had to be done for the Normandy Variations, for although Augener published a 2-piano score and was supposed to have published a full score and a set of parts neither of these latter can now be found. Somervell's MSS (including the Highland Concerto) are in the Royal College of Music.

reineckeforever

thankyou Gareth, I'll try to learn by ear after buying the cd :'(
bye, Andrea

eschiss1

Has it even been published? A scan of the manuscript is probably permissible under what's called editio princeps (far as I understand these things...) since it was first performed, not in 2010 for those concerts, but in the 1920s (as is easily checked). - Gareth: thanks, sorry, didn't see your response... (I shouldn't say easily checked, sorry... I did do a Google Books search and came upon a report that seemed to say that the Highland concerto had been performed- but must look closer. And even so, it could have been performed from whatever was at hand or from parts that don't exist now. Not being sarcastic.)

FBerwald

The Highland Concerto  is YUm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gareth Vaughan

I am sure the RCM would be prepared to make you a photocopy of Somervell's MS if you asked nicely. They'd want to be paid something though - but probably not much.

Mark Thomas

I do so agree with John about the merits of Cowen's piece. I've downloaded both it and the Somervell, but haven't listen to the latter yet, so struck was I by the Cowen that I just had to play it through again. If I'm honest, knowing the two Cowen symphonies which are available, I was surprised how good it is. None of that running out of steam which characterises them for me. This work starts purposefully and has a real sense of both momentum and direction. It's melodically and harmonically attractive and superbly orchestrated too. Well done, that man!

The disc and the two works on it, get an excellent review in this month's IRR, by the way.

albion

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Sunday 04 September 2011, 17:29
I do so agree with John about the merits of Cowen's piece.

This disc was always going to surprise a good many people. Yes, the music is fluent and urbane and no, it plumbs no great emotional depths. However, it is an expertly crafted and ultimately very satisfying showcase for the piano - melodically strong and, as Mark says, it moves with a real strength of purpose in it's intention to entertain. It is no surprise that the Daily News (29th June 1900) reported of the premiere that "Time after time the audience recalled the pianist [Paderewski], who came on hand in hand with the composer".

What is needed now are first-rate recordings of the Symphonic Poem A Phantasy of Life and Love (1901), another of Cowen's strongest purely orchestral works, together with the Symphony No.5 (1887) and the exquisite Overture The Butterfly's Ball (1901).

:)

edurban

And the Indian Rhapsody, of course.   ;D

David

FBerwald

Quote from: edurban on Monday 05 September 2011, 01:03

David

I second that.... even though many members in the forum seem to dislike it so much.

albion

Quote from: FBerwald on Monday 05 September 2011, 06:32
Quote from: edurban on Monday 05 September 2011, 01:03

David

I second that.... even though many members in the forum seem to dislike it so much.

Oh, go on then - if it was a first-class performance of the Indian Rhapsody I would welcome it without reservation. Add the exuberant 1902 Coronation March, the compact 4th Symphony (1884) and the Suite of Old English Dances, Set 2 (1905) and you'd begin to have the makings of a second great disc!

;)

edurban

My copy of the Cowen Concertstuck has come, and I'll add my surprise and delight to the chorus.  It's a regular barnburner!  Who would have guessed that the author of the pale, staid Scandinavian Symphony was keeping such slavic fire in reserve?  Give me more of the unbuttoned Cowen, please, he of the (I'm speculating) jolly after-dinner-speeches-at-the-club-that-have-gone-unrecorded-by-polite-history.  I'm beginning to like the man for more than his Jamaican birth.  And the Indian Rhapsody, of course.

On to Somervell...

David

jerfilm

Berkshire Record Outlet just put up about 125 Hyperion cutouts including a large number of the Piano Concerto series - about half price if you missed them the first time around.

Jerry

albion

Quote from: edurban on Saturday 10 September 2011, 02:54Who would have guessed that the author of the pale, staid Scandinavian Symphony was keeping such slavic fire in reserve?  Give me more of the unbuttoned Cowen, please, he of the (I'm speculating) jolly after-dinner-speeches-at-the-club-that-have-gone-unrecorded-by-polite-history.

I agree - even with a better recording than the dismal Marco Polo offering, the Scandinavian Symphony (1880) is unlikely to impress very much: it belongs very much to Cowen's 'early' period and seems uncertain, repetitive and 'under-cooked'. His increasing experience as a conductor through the 1880s and 1890s (Covent Garden Promenade Concerts, Liverpool Philharmonic, Bradford Festival Choral Society, Scottish Orchestra, London Philharmonic Society) widened his outlook and helped to bring his musical technique into sharper focus.

Although Cowen was perceived by many to be a rather colourless character (often described as 'kindly' or 'genial') largely due to his reticence in press interviews, he

had a keen sense of humour, and was an uncommonly good story teller. As he had an immense fund of stories always on hand, I found by experience that it was important to get the rehearsal completed before Cowen got launched, or the rehearsal might last for hours.

(A.M. Henderson, Musical Memories, 1938)

albion

Volume 54 will be included in the discussion of new releases on tomorrow's edition of CD Review (11.00 Radio 3) - I wonder if it will find favour ...

???

markniew

as to future RPC releases I have heard that also ctos by Rozycki and Zelenski were taken into account