News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Hubert Parry

Started by giles.enders, Wednesday 25 May 2011, 10:00

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

I thought the documentary was excellent.  I hope it will be repeated in the future.  I wonder if it will be released on DVD. It is a pity it was not on BBC2 where it would have gained more publicity.  Jeremy Dibble wrote an excellent biography of Parry some years ago, one of the best biographies of a composer I have come across and Laura Ponsonby's enthusiasm really came across in the programme.   Shulbrede Priory will be open again during the August Bank holiday for two afternoons only.

eschiss1

I hope it will be released on BBC America over here, which I get on TV cable (if it has been and I missed it, then briefly esp. as someone who holds a rather high opinion of the BBC generally - argh and hope to catch it sometime again in that case.)

Mark Thomas

Yes, I too thought the programme to be a very warm, sincere and absorbing tribute to Parry. A bit heavy on the choral stuff, although that's the English tradition, but it was excellent to see the Fifth Symphony get such a strong showing, representing his orchestral music. Also fascinating was the deconstruction of Jerusalem, showing how it "worked". Of course, it made me wonder what sort of Princely programmes could be made celebrating Raff, Stanford, Draeseke etc etc.

JimL

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Saturday 28 May 2011, 22:42...it made me wonder what sort of Princely programmes could be made celebrating Raff, Stanford, Draeseke etc etc.
Well, in order to get the cooperation of HRH, it is necessary to gain the attention of HRH.  A few CDs from anonymous (or not) sources might be of help.  Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more, say no more... ;)

Mark Thomas

Over to you then, Jim. HRH The Prince of Wales, Highgrove House, Doughton, Tetbury, Gloucestershire would probably reach him...

ahinton

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Sunday 29 May 2011, 08:38
Over to you then, Jim. HRH The Prince of Wales, Highgrove House, Doughton, Tetbury, Gloucestershire would probably reach him...
...and GL8 8TG might just help, possibly, although them's only the neighbours in the cottages on t'other side of the road...

JimL

Your sovereign prince, not mine.  Although...do you think a sampler CD or two might make an impression?  One thing, though.  I don't have any choral works by any of the above. 

Lionel Harrsion

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Sunday 29 May 2011, 08:38
You could always invite HRH to become a member here!

JimL

More my speed.  I wonder if he knows about this website already?  Anybody have an email address for him?  Do you think he might be on FB?

giles.enders

We seem to have moved from Parry to Prince Charles.  If you wish to tempt him with another programme perhaps something with cellos!

ahinton

Quote from: giles.enders on Tuesday 31 May 2011, 10:27
We seem to have moved from Parry to Prince Charles.  If you wish to tempt him with another programme perhaps something with cellos!
Hmmm - Nomos Alpha, Kottos - other gems from the repertoires of Friedrich Gauwerky, Frances-Marie Uitti, Rohan de Saram?

As you were...

Mark Thomas

HRH seemed very bound up with the idea of Parry's music being essentially English in character but when he put this to the Fifth Symphony's conductor Vassily Sinaisky he was clearly, although politely, nonplussed. No doubt Sinaisky regarded the work as firmly in the German tradition... 

Lionel Harrsion

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Tuesday 31 May 2011, 10:50
HRH seemed very bound up with the idea of Parry's music being essentially English in character but when he put this to the Fifth Symphony's conductor Vassily Sinaisky he was clearly, although politely, nonplussed. No doubt Sinaisky regarded the work as firmly in the German tradition...

When HRH mentioned the influence of Strauss, Sinaisky naturally understood him to be referring to Richard; after his comment earlier in that section of the programme about Parry's fifth sounding waltz-like, I have a nasty feeling he may have been thinking of a different Strauss altogether!

JimL

Um, maybe bringing HRH onboard may not be such a good idea after all.  Sounds like he may be a tad overmatched here.

giles.enders

In the over used expression used by the BBC 'there is another chance to see' the Parry Programme on BBC4 on Tuesday 7th June at 9pm