News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Somervell PC

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 01 June 2011, 23:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

The Somervell PC "Highland" will be broadcast on BBC Radio 3 on Friday 10th June at approx 2:10 pm.

Josh

Thanks a bunch for this notice!  I've already had the Romantic Piano Concerto #54 on my to-buy list, and it'll be great to verify for sure whether or not this is something I want to do.  I'm always very, very nervous when buying music composed after 1880 in the dark.  Luckily, when I obtained Somervell's Violin Concerto (because I wanted Coleridge-Taylor's, on the same disc), it showed me that there may be more to explore there, and I've been waiting to give him a second go.  I've started recommending Somervell's VC to people I know who, like me, shy away from orchestral music of that time period, and I really hope the PC (from about a decade earlier) is in the same vein.

I do know that the sound-clips on Hyperion's site excited me already; I just heard them for the first time yesterday, and I just can't resist those tunes!  If the whole work is like the openings of the movements, then it'll be a great discovery indeed!

Mark Thomas

Josh wrote:
Quotemusic composed after 1880 in the dark
Isn't it difficult to write music in the dark?  ;)

JimL

Much harder than buying in the dark!  ;D