Noskowski Symphony 1

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 22 July 2009, 22:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

I've been listening to the Sterling CD for the best part of a week now, having taken it on holiday with me. I must say that First is one of the most impressive symphonic debuts I can remember - certainly on a par with Tchaikovsky's for sheer confidence and quality. The material is all both instantly attractive and memorable, it is ingeniously and excitingly developed and the use of the orchestra is so impressive. The slow movement is just gorgeous. I am quite bowled over by this impressive work.

My only misgiving is that, having known the Third for a few years, I'm not sure how much Noskowski develops between the two, although they are separated by 20 years or more. I suppose that I want him to start strongly and keep on improving, whereas he may have stayed in the groove he first cut for himself.

Still, what a groove!

Alan Howe

I echo your opinion of No.1, Mark. It's a magnificent work. However, I do think there is development between No.1 and the better-known No.3, which actually dates from thirty or so years later: I think there is a more luxuriant harmonic palate as well as a more sophisticated and individual approach to rhythm in the later work (think of that opening theme in the first movement). It will be interesting to see whether there is significant development between No.1 and No.2, which Noskowski seems to have started not long afterwards.

Make no mistake: Noskowski is an important symphonic find. Just the sort of rediscovery to keep us all looking for more...

Mark Thomas

Well, that's alright then. I don't have No.3 with me on my iPod, so was having to go by memory. I'm relieved that it shows strong development from the First. Like you, I'm now agog for No.2.

I should also put in a word of support for the Morskie Oko Overture, too. It's also powerful stuff - you can see where The Steppe came from. The later Pan Zolzikiewicz Overture is fun, but more Polish genre music than anything else. All in all, though, this is a real winner from Sterling.

Alan Howe

The Morskie Oko overture is absolutely superb - cut out of much the same cloth as the 1st Symphony.

I seem to have had the same experience as you, Mark, over the past week. The magnificence of this music has taken my breath away too. Roll on the further releases in this series!

JimL

The only entry I found on him listed only a bare handful of works, none of which were concertos for any instrument.  Did he compose any, I wonder?

DennisS

Hello Alan and Mark

Reading all your comments on sym no 1 has really whetted my appetite! For the past few days I have searched the internet on all the cd outlets for the Sterling cd, but it is still not showing up anywhere, even though on the Sterling website,it is showing as released July. I imagine you two received advance copies of the cd. I guess I just have to be patient as it is sure to show up soon??? In the meantime, I have to content myself listening to The Steppe, which I like very much indeed!

Mark Thomas

Yes Dennis, I'm afraid that we had privileged status! But the CDs are now with the distributors, so should be available very soon.

Alan Howe

As far as I can see, there are no concertos by Noskowski, nor even any concertante pieces.

The CD is certainly in the shops in Sweden now - so I imagine that wider availability will follow soon.

Peter1953

Thanks, Alan and Mark, for your interesting discussion. This will be another addition to my CD collection.
Anyone familiar with Noskowski's piano works?

Alan Howe

Not the solo stuff, but the Piano Quartet in D minor, Op.8 is another superb piece.

Peter1953

A recent release is "Piano Works 1" by Valentina Seferinova (we know her of her fine interpretation of Raff's piano sonata op. 14) on the Acte Prealable label. It's called No. 1, so we can expect more.
I think I just order this disc, and give it as a present to my wife...

Alan Howe

Very sneaky, Peter. A well-known subterfuge, though!

Gareth Vaughan

Noskowski's 2nd Symphony is subtitled "Elegiac" and I seem to recall reading an article many years ago (online, I think) which argued that the 2nd was the composer's best symphony. But since I have not heard it nor been able to locate a score in the UK, I cannot comment. The author was rather dismissive of No. 3 - unjustly in my opinion, having heard the broadcast performance which Mark very kindly put on disk for me. I look forward to hearing a performance of No. 1.
Incidentally, there are no concertante works by Noskowski.

DennisS

Hello Peter
I've just been listening to audio extracts of all the pieces on Acte Prealable's piano works by Noskowski. I must say I am very impressed . All the pieces are very lovely and convey lots of different moods, at times I am reminded of Chopin. I too am going to buy the cd!  Still no sign sadly of the Sterling cd. Both JPC and MDT have said in the last 24 hours that they can give no details at the present moment. As Alan and Mark have said, hopefully the cd will be available soon.

Amphissa

Maybe they meant July of 2010  ::)