Noskowski Symphony 1

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 22 July 2009, 22:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

I'm sorry, it was insenstive of us to rave on about this CD when it isn't yet generally available. I'll make a mental note to avoid doing so in future. Sackcloth and ashes time...

Gareth Vaughan

No need for such penitence, Mark. The guys on this forum are dreadfully (one might almost say "encouragingly") impatient to hear new works. But Patience - as we all know - is a virtue, and anticipation is a sauce that whets the appetite. Everything comes in time to him who waits - and many other ancient saws (I could go on like this for pages, but that really would test people's patience!). It is enough that we know Noskowski's Symphony No. 1 has been recorded, and on a label that has international distribution. I have no doubt the CD will be readily available very soon. In the mean time, enjoy the sense of expectation, everybody!

Alan Howe

I actually ordered my copy from the Toccata music shop of Harald Hoff in Värmdö, just east of Stockholm, Sweden - thus paying over the odds to get my copy early. No sackcloth and ashes for me!

For the really impatient, here's the link...

http://www.toccata.nu/cd-label/sterling/CDS-1083.html

DennisS

Hello Alan and everyone wanting to purchase the Sterling CD, have just today found out that the cd can be purchased through Priory Records (distributors for Sterling in the UK) but will only be available as from next week - website www.priory.org.uk. I imagine though that the price will be lower than through Toccata. I can't wait to listen to the symphony in view of all the glowing reports!

Mark Thomas

jpc are now quoting 14 August availability. Details here...

Alan Howe

The Symphony is featured on tracks 2-5 of the Sterling CD, just in case anyone has tried out the audio samples at jpc which Mark draws attention to in the previous posting.

DennisS

Hi all

I have been listening to Noskowski's music for the past week or so, and am totally in agreement with what both Mark and Alan have said. Symphony no 1 is absolutely wonderful and I am looking forward to the eventual release of sym nos 2 + 3!

Ilja

A press release by a Dutch distribution company today announced the release of Noskowski's 10th symphony! Seems like a veritable avalanche...  ;)

Pengelli

Did he? I remember R3 announcing the Karlowicz as his
seventh,poor blighter, (Karlowicz!).

Peter1953

Dear friends, I'm completely under the spell of Noskowski. What a fabulous find! All 3 works are gorgeous. What a powerful, great symphony. Listening to the 2nd movement with your eyes closed, you are in the open country. A student's work, mind you. What a beautiful, in some moments even mysterious Morskie Oko overture.
Very pleased to read on the booklet "Orchestral works, vol. 1"...

Gareth Vaughan

I am led to believe that the Polish label, Acte Prealable, will record and release, over the next 12-18 months Noskowski's music for violin and piano + his 3 String Quartets. I have no more information yet.

Alan Howe

That's excellent news, Gareth. The Violin Sonata (1875 - i.e. from around the same period as the 1st Symphony), is a most beautiful piece.

Jonathan

I thought I should point out that Noskowski's 3rd Symphony (Spring to Spring) was on Through the Night on BBC radio 3 this morning (Sunday 13th September) at 2.19am.

I shall have to listen again via iPlayer...

Pengelli

It seems to have been a bit of a regular!

Pengelli

And incidentally,I enjoyed it too. I have ye olde off air cassette in a box some
where (of both broadcasts;the first one minus a few bars of the opening!)