German Music Folder

Started by Mark Thomas, Wednesday 27 July 2011, 21:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Quote from: eschiss1 on Sunday 27 May 2012, 18:07
I think Berger's 2nd was published in 1912, but it clearly wasn't composed that year, and I don't know when it was. (Not a physical, can use as a coffee coaster CD, apparently, but there's a commercial -download- of a good deal of his choral music available here. Found the link in his English-language Wikipedia article.)

Berger 2 was premiered by Weingartner in Berlin on 25th May 1900. Publication may have taken place later, but the piece was clearly written at the end of the 1890s.

Additional note:
In fact, the symphony was published by Bote & Bock, Berlin in 1911.

Mark Thomas

Amphissa, my grateful thanks for uploading a better recording of Berger's great Symphony - just what I hoped would happen. Anything which helps recognition of this work, poor conducting and/or playing notwithstanding, is a move in the right direction. Also thanks to Alan for recording the jiggery-pokery I had to resort to to get a full performance of the symphony at all. I had forgotten. As to the composition date, I'll have to check and see if I kept a note of my source(s). Thanks again.

Lionel Harrsion

Quote from: eschiss1 on Sunday 27 May 2012, 18:07
(Not a physical, can use as a coffee coaster CD, apparently, but there's a commercial -download- of a good deal of his choral music available here. Found the link in his English-language Wikipedia article.)
Thanks very much, Eric.  I'll investigate. 

Lionel Harrsion

For anyone else interested, the full score of Berger 2 is available at IMSLP: http://imslp.org/wiki/Symphony_No.2,_Op.80_%28Berger,_Wilhelm%29

jerfilm

What a lovely work, the Berger.  Thanks, guys......

Jerry

Mark Thomas

I've uploaded two works form the second quarter of the 19th century: Carl Loewe's Second Symphony in e minor and Bernhard Molique's Cello Concerto. Any more information on the Loewe piece would be greatly appreciated.

eschiss1

According to Loewe-Gesellschaft, I think, the Loewe was not the premiere, but the modern premiere- first performance in 170 years.

Mark Thomas

Thanks O Sleuth! Well, I guess that means that the Second Symphony dates from 1834 or earlier, then, which certainly fits with the Beethoven-esque sound of it..

eschiss1

I wonder if the Koch recording of the D minor symphony had notes that say anything about -either- symphony's possible dating...  I am guessing no. (I think it came from 2002 concerts by the same Gesellschaft.)

Mark Thomas

First thing I looked at, Eric. The notes mention a performance of the Piano Concerto No.2, but nothing about the D minor Symphony's dating and no mention at all of the E minor symphony.

eschiss1

I looked in contemporary journals through Google and couldn't make out quite what I was reading because of the German Gothic script so after a bit stopped trying, unfortunately. Cmoll and Emoll are hard for me to distinguish in that script sometimes (and just as hard for the Google OCR, if not harder :) ).

allison

Thanks everybody for the great German adds last few days, I hope someone will be inspired to put up more of Johann Nepomuk David's symphonies, wonderful stuff. Best, A

JimL

Can't we get the program notes for that concert with the Loewe S 2?  That would probably have the movements listed.

Mark Thomas

Maybe you could try, Jim?

eschiss1

I think they have the program notes for that festival online and they (seem to?...) make no mention, but there could be separate notes for that specific concert. Maybe if one emails the Loewe Gesellschaft?