Forthcoming recordings of violin concertos

Started by peter_conole, Wednesday 29 April 2009, 18:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Yes, I can locate available recordings of the VC by Pott, Op.10 and that in A minor by Röntgen, but the Weismann VCs...? And there are other VCs by Röntgen too.

jerfilm

Yes, I find those two also.  But no sign of the Weismann.  Are they out of print, maybe??

Gareth Vaughan

I have the Pott VC, but I can find no currently available commercial recordings of any of the Weismann VCs - he wrote 3, I believe. I'd be interested to obtain them.

eschiss1

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Friday 22 October 2010, 22:19
I have the Pott VC, but I can find no currently available commercial recordings of any of the Weismann VCs - he wrote 3, I believe. I'd be interested to obtain them.
Somewhat to my surprise, a horn concertino of his (and chamber music, songs, and that string orchestra arr. of string quartets CD on cpo) is/are recorded...

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Quote from: Alan Howe on Saturday 23 October 2010, 23:45
But no VCs....
not to my knowledge alas.  I don't know if I'd heard of him before he started showing up on IMSLP, that sort of thing- maybe, I'm trying to remember! A Rheinberger and Thuille student. But the Wikipedia article gives tales of involvement with the Nazi regime that I don't doubt were usual of course... (submitting incidental music to A Midsummer's Night Dream to possibly replace Mendelssohn's which had fallen out of favor, etc. I apologize, not relevant to what's at hand- and as with other such cases, not decreasing my interest in the music.)
Eric

eschiss1

about the Noren though, it could be recorded with Gliere's the Sirens - they were given their US premiere in the same concert by the Chicago Symphony, Dec. 5 1913. Anyway. Back to topic.

jerfilm

How about it, Tobias - are there recordings of the Weismann or aren't there? 

OK, I'm off topic here but someone brought it up.  '56 Grove sez he wrote 2 violin concerts.  I have cassette tapes of all three of his piano concertos along with Symphonys 2 & 3. 

violinconcerto

Hello, yes I have recordings of all three Weismann concertos. Obviously no commercial ones, but recordings of broadcast performances. The No.1 was aired just some weeks ago.

Best,
Tobias

jerfilm

Are the Lipinski Concertos on CPO worth investing in?

Alan Howe

Yes - if you like the more restrained classically-minded contemporaries of Paganini...
But let's keep to the topic, please.