News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

The best period for VCs?

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 03 August 2011, 23:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Have any friends noticed how many wonderful VCs were written just before WW2? Can you name them, perhaps?
Let me begin: Tansman (1937)

Rainolf

JimL

Josh

Do any of them have the sort of overall less-modernish "texture" like Somervell's?

Peter1953

Every time I hear it I'm completely overwhelmed by Röntgen's VC in F Sharp minor (1931).

But may I mention a VC written during World War Two which is also very beautiful? Rózycki's op. 70 (1944).

eschiss1

for those with a wider range 1935 has been described as the annus mirabilis of violin concertos - if memory serves? Berg, Stravisky, Sessions (all completed that year), Prokofiev 2, Schoenberg (begun that year). (Szymanowski 2 pub.1934, Myaskovsky comp. 1938-9, Alwyn 1938, Walton 1938-9/1943, Bloch 1938, so the general period/cloud/... not half bad either of course.)

alberto

I like much Respighi Concerto Gregoriano (1921), Casella Concerto (1928), Malipiero Concerto (1932).
I like a little less Zandonai Concerto Romantico (1919, and indeed truly romantic).
In second wartime very fine the Pizzetti Concerto (1944, I would say romantic with "gravitas",  seriousness) ) and the Wolf-Ferrari Concerto (1943, and unashamedly romantic).
Of course I like a lot of concertos from other countries.

Alan Howe

...and the truly marvellous VC2 by Bartok (1937-8).

alberto

Not strictly bound by the condition of unsung and by the year 1938, we have the (for me both) marvellous Britten and Barber (both 1939).
Not to be forgotten Vaughan Williams Concerto Accademico (1925).

chill319

I was less than overwhelmed when I first heard the Bax VC, but it's grown on me considerably over the years. Bloch's concerto, mentioned above by eschiss1, is among the best of its period, I should think, as is Khatchaturian's VC.

eschiss1

I agree about the Bartók. I'd add Hindemith's of 1939, which I have in a really good Gitlis recording (though Oistrakh/Hindemith is better still. Not from before the war, admittedly, I suppose- well, depends on when in 1939... same year as Barber's, I think...)
I'm curious about Heino Eller's concerto, also from this period (1937), and Popov's from the same year. (I see that Korngold's violin concerto dates originally from 1937 also...)
Alberto- Malipiero concerto no.1, yes? Fine piece, there is or used to be a good recording... haven't heard his 2nd concerto though. (I think in at least one issue it was coupled with Milhaud's of 1945; the latter's Concertino de Printemps is another pre-war concertante work, from 1934... have heard of but not, I think, yet heard.)

alberto

For Eric. The Malipiero 1932 Violin Concerto was on LP coupled to Milhaud Second (Supraphon, Andrè Gertler, cond. V.Smetacek). The cover and the notes state this is the only Malipiero Violin Concerto (so at least the cover of the release on CD Supraphon coupling the Malipiero and the Casella- the latter again by Andrè Gertler). But in the Ricordi catalogue of Malipiero works is quoted a Second Violin Concerto- about which I know nothing.

eschiss1

Far as I know that's because the LP came out before the 2nd concerto was written... and I am guessing the CD label writers were just alas lazy? :(

Ah, no, I'm mistaken, sorry. Wikipedia claims the 2nd concerto is from 1963 (and I'm fairly sure it was published around then- will have to check... the next year, it seems, and yes, from Ricordi...) ; the LP came out in 1972, apparently.  Odd... and except for a library catalog saying that the score claims that 2nd concerto (say that 10 times fast...) lasts, or rather, "Dauer: ca. 18 Min.")... that's all I know about it either...