Miaskovsky - some guidance needed

Started by albion, Friday 12 August 2011, 17:55

Previous topic - Next topic

albion

Wading through Spotify, I've come across the Svetlanov set of the complete Miaskovsky Symphonies from Warner. Here is a composer completely unfamiliar to me but one that I feel I ought to have some knowledge of. I gather that some symphonies are more highly regarded than others - please could someone give me a bit of guidance as to what might be the most worthwhile way into this large corpus of work?

???

Latvian

I'm sure everyone familiar with at least some portion of Miaskovsky's enormous output will have their own opinions, so you may want to solicit a variety of perspectives and tastes. Most everyone seems to agree that #21 is his greatest symphony, but beyond that, thoughts vary.

Having said that, I'll list my personal favorites: #5, 6, 15, 17, 19, 21, 23, 24, and 27. In general, the earlier symphonies are more rhapsodic, chromatic and at times Scriabinesque. The late symphonies are more concise and clearly structured. This may influence where you want to begin, depending on your preference.

One caveat, however, and a major one at that, as well as quite personal: I hold Svetlanov's conducting and interpretations generally in very low esteem. Given the opportunity, I far prefer interpretations by Gauk, Kondrashin, and others, who provide much more deeply involved, heartfelt, and nuanced accounts of these works. I do like Svetlanov's account of #24 very much, but others such as #27 fall far short for me.

Hovite

Quote from: Albion on Friday 12 August 2011, 17:55
Wading through Spotify, I've come across the Svetlanov set of the complete Miaskovsky Symphonies from Warner. Here is a composer completely unfamiliar to me but one that I feel I ought to have some knowledge of. I gather that some symphonies are more highly regarded than others - please could someone give me a bit of guidance as to what might be the most worthwhile way into this large corpus of work?

Having bought that set and played one after another, I'm afraid that they all tend to merge together, but try 2, 17, 21, and 27. None of the symphonies are unpleasant, but some lack greatness. They vary in length and structure. No. 21 is in a single movement, but it certainly works as a symphony, and is highly regarded.

By the way, he wrote other stuff besides symphonies. There are concertos for cello and violin, a whole bunch of rather good piano sonatas, and a couple of sinfoniettas.

http://www.myaskovsky.ru/?mode=works

TerraEpon

19 is for Wind Band. The last movement has a really great Big Tune.

JimL

I have a particular fondness for #5, which strikes me as rather Sibelian in spots, and has a really spooky, atmospheric slow movement.  #6 is intensely chromatic and dissonant, but has a choral finale.  I also like #15.  A couple of his other symphonies warrant attention, #22, composed in memoriam of the Great War, (WWII) and the final symphony, #27.

P.S. Amphissa is our resident Miaskovsky man.  I'm sure he'll jump on this thread in no time with a major essay and some links... ;D

mbhaub

If you want to just try it out, get #6 and see if you like it. Another favorite is #21, especially if you can find the Chicago SO recording with Morton Gould. The Svetlanov set is pretty basic: no notes at all. SOund is typical Melodiya of the era. I kept my Olympia/Alto set and am glad I did. They have notes, such as they are.

Latvian

Yes, Gould's #21 is superb. If you don't mind dated sound, however, do try Ormandy's #21 (vintage c. 1948) -- the most eloquent of them all, IMHO.

Alan Howe

The Svetlanov set is definitely worth having, but don't expect a large number of masterpieces. IMHO, the best place to start with Miaskovsky is the Violin Concerto (there's an excellent version on Naxos) and the Cello Concerto (Rostropovich - don't settle for anything less!!)

albion

Many thanks for all these really helpful responses: I'll begin with 21 as that seems to have been cited by several members and then explore outward from that (6, 17 and 27 also appear in a number of the posts above).

As I will be listening to them streamed there are no background notes at all, so the link to the excellent Miaskovsky site provided by Hovite was very welcome!

;D

eschiss1

For myself I think you'll find some of the best Miaskovsky is in his string quartets, especially the "first" (not really) and last of them.  Still available on the Northern Flowers label, I'm given to believe, in the same quite fine Taneyev Quartet recording I first heard them from on LPs back in college. The last quartet (no.13 in A minor) has received a couple of live and CD recordings more recently (e.g. the Kopelman Quartet), too.

Christopher

I am also grateful for this thread as Miaskovsky is for me too one of the composers that I just "don't get". And like you I have always assumed that it was because I was listening to the wrong stuff, first, so I am also looking forward to getting hold of his Symphony 21.

I also think this opens up a whole new topic (maybe needs a new thread?!):  who are people's "sung" composers who remain unsung on a personal level - or to put it another way, who are famous composers, appreciated around the world, that for some reason you just "don't get"? And what pieces do people recommend as a way in to their music?  For me this would include: Mahler, Stravinsky, Glazunov (I just find him incredibly bland...) - yet they come from a period of music that I most love.

Alan Howe

Hovite

Quote from: TerraEpon on Friday 12 August 2011, 20:46
19 is for Wind Band. The last movement has a really great Big Tune.

That one is rather special.

Revilod

I don't know much Miaskovsky ...only the 6th and 21st of the symphonies both of which are excellent, though very different, works.... but isn't the gorgeous 'Cello Concerto  the best way in? It is so well written for the 'cello, its lyricism is so well sustained and its tunes will stay with you forever. Try the second theme of the finale!

JimL

I like the Cello Concerto.  I absolutely adore the Violin Concerto.  And, as I said, I highly recommend the 5th Symphony in D Major.  It was the first symphony other than the 21st that I heard, and it was with the encouragement of Amphissa that I became an aficionado of Miaskovsky's music.  Are you out there, Dave?