Macfarren's Robin Hood at last

Started by edurban, Monday 05 September 2011, 22:43

Previous topic - Next topic

albion

For those who like to have an image of the composer in question, here is an excellent carte-de-visite portrait of Macfarren (c.1875) -

:)

Lionel Harrsion

Quote from: Albion on Friday 07 October 2011, 11:41
For those who like to have an image of the composer in question, here is an excellent carte-de-visite portrait of Macfarren (c.1875) -

The vicissitudes of his life appear etched into his face, poor chap.

semloh

Quote from: Lionel Harrsion on Friday 07 October 2011, 11:54
Quote from: Albion on Friday 07 October 2011, 11:41

The vicissitudes of his life appear etched into his face, poor chap.

Goodness, me! Quite so, Lionel. I can only imagine the bullying that made him stand so unwillingly in front of a camera. And, to what end? It's hardly one to to put on display or show friends when they visit.
I wonder if the vicissitudes of life are etched into his music too.

Alan Howe

Well, it does say "Done & Co." in the corner of the photo. "Done for" or "Done in", more like  ;)

erato

And Maritana by William Vincent Wallace is in the November release lists on mdt.

Gareth Vaughan

And yet there is a quiet dignity about the face.

Lionel Harrsion

Alan Howe

Actually there's an equally somnolent-looking Macfarren in the booklet that accompanies the cpo recording of symphonies 4 and 7 - but there's nothing somnolent about the music here. As I listen again to the 7th especially, I am reminded of its vigour and integrity. What a shame that cpo didn't make a complete cycle over in Australia (although of course I've no idea what state the scores are in...)

albion

Quote from: Alan Howe on Sunday 09 October 2011, 17:37the cpo recording of symphonies 4 and 7

At the time of release, CPO touted this disc as the beginning of a Macfarren symphonic cycle - I can only assume that poor sales discouraged them from continuing. However, in truth, the recording does not perhaps present the music in the best light - there is a peculiar 'edge' to the recording at times and a sense of 'going though the motions' about the interpretation.

Perhaps there are stronger orchestral works in his catalogue - for instance, it would be fascinating to compare his Shakespearean overtures with those of Cipriani Potter (Antony and Cleopatra, 1835; Cymbeline, 1836; The Tempest, 1837). There is certainly more orchestral and concertante music by Macfarren to explore (those works already recorded are given in bold type):

Symphony No.1 in C (1828)
Symphony No.2 in D minor (1831)
Overture in E major (1832)
Symphony No.3 in E minor (1832)
Symphony No.4 in F minor (1833)
Symphony No.5 in A minor (1833)
Overture, The Merchant of Venice (c.1834)
Piano Concerto in C minor (1835)
Symphony No.6 in B flat major (1836)
Overture, Romeo and Juliet (1836)
Overture, Chevy Chace (1836)
Concertino for Cello and Orchestra in A (1836)
Symphony No.7 in C# minor (1839–40)
Overture, Don Carlos (1842)
Symphony No.8 in D major (1845)
Overture, Hamlet (1856)
Flute Concerto in G (1863)
Violin Concerto in G minor (1871–4)
Symphony No.9 in E minor (1874)
Festival Overture (c.1874)
Idyll in Memory of Sterndale Bennett (1875)

eschiss1

and several chamber works including five string quartets which have been recorded as noted on this forum earlier.

Jimfin

Very pleased with 'Robin Hood': I've always liked 'Chevy Chace', though I must confess to finding the CPO symphonies fairly lacklustre. It would be good to hear more, though. If the last couple of decades and the rediscovery of, say, Stanford and Holbrooke is that one can't believe the sweeping statements made by musical historians about neglected composers whose work they've never heard.

Jimfin

The work had definite shades of Sullivan, but not so much the Sullivan of 'Ivanhoe' as of 'The Foresters', (which of course stars Robin Hood himself). The Act II number 'There is no land like England' in the Sullivan is almost self-consciously similar to 'Englishmen by Birth' are bold. To my ear, at least. Anyway, what a great release: Naxos don't do that many British operas, but they've chosen some gems lately: Tom Jones, Lurline and now Robin Hood. 

BrianB

I'm eagerly looking forward to hearing this recording. I'd like to find that vocal score. I hope consideration will be given to Benedict's Lily of Killarney, the missing link in the English Ring on records and, no question, Maritana needs to be redone. The Marco Polo was so heavily cut as to misrepresent the opera. It even cut music present on 78rpm recordings of extracts. I wish Bonynge had undertaken it along with Bo Girl which he recorded for Argo.

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteThere is certainly more orchestral and concertante music by Macfarren to explore (those works already recorded are given in bold type)

But where is it all?