Belated Quick Thoughts on a 2009 British Cello Sonata Recording on Dutton

Started by eschiss1, Friday 09 September 2011, 20:11

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Haven't heard the whole thing yet but borrowed a CD from the public library, made by Dutton Epoch- (Joseph Spooner, cello, two pianists for the various works) from 2009 of cello and piano works by Balfe (sonata), Walter Macfarren (sonata), Edgar Bainton (sonata), Coleridge-Taylor, Rosalind Ellicott and Roger Quilter (briefer works) (many of these premieres).  Will listen to the rest soon but excellent idea and from what I have heard of the disc so far, also excellent playing and music...

EarlyRomantic

Resurrection time: So, I've just learned of this disc, and am so curious about it, all the more so because it's already so elusive. Sound excerpts can't be found anywhere. Can anyone report on this? So hope it's not a disappointment.

eschiss1

I think it can probably still be purchased from Dutton since they still list it at their website here. Allmusic has some samples here. Amazon lists it as an import.

Martin Eastick

Just a quick note here - please, please don't anyone be put off this rather superb CD (for those who may be thinking of buying it!)by the awful review given by a certain Mike Brownell on the Allmusic.com website! He appears to have little or no interest/knowledge(?) concerning this repertoire (not the performers, though, and certainly displays his obviously biased views here! I would hope that most of those among us would not be taken in but unfortunately there are prospective buyers still put off by such nonsense! Having said that, I would reiterate what a superb recording this is, and (IMHO) the excellent MacFarren sonata is probably the highlight here, well-supported by some attractive shorter works. If anything, the Balfe is perhaps the weakest, but still not without its merits.

EarlyRomantic

Martin, Thank you for the enthusiasm  of your endorsement. That review was distressing, and would make someone who didn't know the release at all wilt a little. Eric, thank you for the link, and for introducing me to Allmusic. You know, it would be very helpful to compile  everyones preferred sites for musical information, new releases, sound excerpts in one central location. What do you think? It's staggering to think of all the sites members know and use as resources for those reasons. We should have a comprehensive, master list.Eric, thank you in general- as with so many here, your presence on this forum is really something else!

pcc

I've been meaning to get this as some years ago a friend of mine and I worked on the Balfe sonata, which is a really nifty piece; very lyrical yet agile, and the 5/4 slow movement (yes, 5/4 from a most unexpected source) is a real gem. I look forward to the CD.