Unrecorded British Piano Concertos

Started by Dundonnell, Monday 26 September 2011, 00:50

Previous topic - Next topic

albion

Quote from: Dundonnell on Thursday 29 September 2011, 04:06
Quote from: eschiss1 on Thursday 29 September 2011, 01:42
Curious a bit about Rubbra's opus 30 piano concerto, actually- have seen a very very small bit of it and I expect one of the recent books on Rubbra has much information on it, but as of now don't even know if it's performable.

The only info' in Leo Black's book on Rubbra is that the Piano Concerto, op.30 was withdrawn and remains/ed in manuscript. If still extant I have no idea where it might be.

The most likely place is at the British Library: their Rubbra collection includes

ADD 62587-62662. Music manuscripts of Charles Edmund Rubbra, C.B.E.; 1921-1982, n.d. Mostly autograph. Supplementing Add. 52590, 54386, 57535, 57536. See also Add. 64110-64119. Purchased from the composer, 23 Dec. 1982.

Paper. Seventy-six volumes. Arranged as follows:

A. Orchestral Works: 62587-62612.
B. Concertos, etc.: 62613-62628.
C. Keyboard Works and Chamber Music: 62629-62638.
D. Theatre Music: 62639-62642.
E. Choral Works (Accompanied): 62643-62651.
F. Choral Works (Unaccompanied): 62652-62656.
G. Other vocal music: 62657-62661.
H. Sketches: 62662.

:)

eschiss1

Thanks!
(Also re Hinton's concerto, it was performed in Boston March 1908- had forgotten that, though I think I'd seen that.)

vandermolen

Although it was released on LP (EMI) I don't think that Gordon Jacob's fine Piano Concerto ever made it to CD - a great pity.

eschiss1

apparently there were two piano concertos by Gordon Jacob (1927 with strings dedicated to Arthur Benjamin, 1957 with orchestra dedicated to Edith Vogel) but I assume when the LP came out there was only one... neither figures on the Recordings page of Gordonjacob.org so am guessing you are probably right.
(The 1954 concertino has been on CD, I do notice... can't even find the recording of the 1927 concerto you're alluding to, actually... :) but that;s because Worldcat is anything but reliable especially if like me one doesn't really know what one's seeking. )

vandermolen

Quote from: eschiss1 on Tuesday 25 October 2011, 18:17
apparently there were two piano concertos by Gordon Jacob (1927 with strings dedicated to Arthur Benjamin, 1957 with orchestra dedicated to Edith Vogel) but I assume when the LP came out there was only one... neither figures on the Recordings page of Gordonjacob.org so am guessing you are probably right.
(The 1954 concertino has been on CD, I do notice... can't even find the recording of the 1927 concerto you're alluding to, actually... :) but that;s because Worldcat is anything but reliable especially if like me one doesn't really know what one's seeking. )

The old EMI LP which featured the Jacob was 'Concertos for Phyllis and Cyril' (Sellick and Smith I think - although I may be confusing the latter with an oversized Liberal Democrat MP from the past!) I think that the Cyril of the duo had sadly lost the use of one hand following a stroke and the LP featured concertos for 'three hands'. The Arnold and Bliss concertos, featured on the same LP, have reappeared (more than once) on CD but sadly not the Jacob work, which I remember as tuneful and memorable.

albion

Quote from: eschiss1 on Tuesday 25 October 2011, 18:17apparently there were two piano concertos by Gordon Jacob (1927 with strings dedicated to Arthur Benjamin, 1957 with orchestra dedicated to Edith Vogel)

Broadcasts of both concertos are in the BMB archive, the latter performed by Edith Vogel.

eschiss1

been meaning to download those, thanks for the reminder. And the Gordon Jacob website does say that the dedicatees premiered each work, I think. Thank you.

Dundonnell

I have updated my original list to take account of recent commercial releases and recent uploads here :)

HerbieG

My personal addition to this is the Concertstuck for Piano and Orchestra by Albert Ketelby.  A fascinating thought!  I also have a tape of the Fantasy for Piano and Orchestra by Reginald King (and I see that this work is on YouTube).

TerraEpon

.....Ketelby piano concerto? Why is this not recorded? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH

albion

Quote from: HerbieG on Tuesday 01 November 2011, 23:55I also have a tape of the Fantasy for Piano and Orchestra by Reginald King

A recording of this attractive work played by Philip Fowke is in the BMB archive.

:)