Hyperion RVC Vol.11 Reger VC

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 29 September 2011, 22:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Hyperion have announced that volume 11 of their RVC series will feature Reger's Violin Concerto and Two Romances (release: January 2012)...
http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/al.asp?al=CDA67892

violinconcerto

How lame is that?  :P
I can drop names and works for Hyperion until volume 200 and they choose Reger...*sigh*

Alan Howe

Well, I personally love the piece for its ambition, richness and gorgeous autumnal colourings, so it's a must for me. I'm glad to see the piece on a major independent label - and, if the CD is as good as Hyperion's recording of the PC with Hamelin, then it may make some new friends for the work. Of course, there are plenty of major Romantic-era VCs not yet recorded, e.g. Gernsheim (1 & 2), the newly orchestrated Draeseke VC, etc...

Which Romantic-era VCs had you mind, Tobias?

violinconcerto

For a lot of years I am now waiting for a recording of the other violin concertos by Castelnuovo-Tedesco. I like the "I profeti" pretty much and expect the rest as good as this one. I found no recording of the other works, so a commercial recording would definitely fill some gaps and would find a lot of other buyers too I guess.

Or what about the Violin concerto by Geirr Tveitt? It was played by young violinist Vilde Frang a few years ago, but never released commercially. The Hardanger Fiddle concertos are marvelous works and of course I would love to listen to that one.

Thats just two works I would love to listen to.

Tobias

eschiss1

Moór (4 violin concertos, a double concerto with piano, a triple concerto), Melchers, maybe Rüfer, Miroslav Weber (some chamber music recorded though), ten Brink, Philipp Scharwenka, Sinigaglia, Machavariani (recorded on LP in the 1950s), G Hollaender, de Lange, others :)

Alan Howe

I would imagine that the Hyperion RVC series isn't going to touch Castelnuovo-Tedesco or Tveitt. Works such as those mentioned by Eric - especially Moór, M.Weber, Sinigaglia, P. Scharwenka - are likely candidates, but it seems that it is much harder to find violinists who will commit themselves to learning these pieces than it is to find pianists...

Gareth Vaughan

Quotebut it seems that it is much harder to find violinists who will commit themselves to learning these pieces than it is to find pianists...

That, indeed, is what Mike Spring told me.

britishcomposer

Quote from: Alan Howe on Thursday 29 September 2011, 22:35
Well, I personally love the piece for its ambition, richness and gorgeous autumnal colourings, so it's a must for me. I'm glad to see the piece on a major independent label - and, if the CD is as good as Hyperion's recording of the PC with Hamelin, then it may make some new friends for the work.

I know that Lothar Zagrosek loves Reger and he has a genius for inspiring his orchestra. (He is chief conductor of the Konzerthausorchester Berlin since 2006.)
He once confessed that he had experienced that Reger appeals more to musician than to listeners.

Dundonnell

Quote from: britishcomposer on Sunday 02 October 2011, 16:15
Quote from: Alan Howe on Thursday 29 September 2011, 22:35
Well, I personally love the piece for its ambition, richness and gorgeous autumnal colourings, so it's a must for me. I'm glad to see the piece on a major independent label - and, if the CD is as good as Hyperion's recording of the PC with Hamelin, then it may make some new friends for the work.

I know that Lothar Zagrosek loves Reger and he has a genius for inspiring his orchestra. (He is chief conductor of the Konzerthausorchester Berlin since 2006.)
He once confessed that he had experienced that Reger appeals more to musician than to listeners.

....or to critics if the famous Reger story is to be believed ;D ;D

FBerwald

Isn't Philipp Scharwenka in pipeline already? I remember reading about it somewhere n the forum