Unrecorded British Cello Concertos

Started by Dundonnell, Sunday 02 October 2011, 19:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

Quote from: eschiss1 on Friday 14 October 2011, 02:51
According to the Foulds Facebook page, Dutton has recorded the Foulds concerto already, with Wallfisch, this past summer. If this is true, perhaps they'll release it in the next few months... (yes, same soloist, but presumably they haven't just gone and resurrected the 1988 broadcast - it didn't sound/read/look that way. ... well, one will see :) )

Oh, it is certainly true ;D

There is a very sad story too on that page about the previous recording of the piece for Toccata in 2003. The sound engineer disappeared soon after the recording with the tapes :(

I very much hope that the coupling will be the Simpson Cello Concerto (which Wallfisch commissioned). The two works would make an odd coupling....but who cares ;D

eschiss1

I'm sure some excuse could be found for such a coupling. Please find one, Dutton. If it absolutely can't be the Simpson, maybe Standford's which Wallfisch recorded for BBC some years back (broadcast June 18 1981, Brian Wright, BBC Northern) - I'm not familiar with it but - could be interesting. (scratch scratch- no, it hasn't, it seems?, been commercially recorded- what I found is a recording of Standford conducting McKuen's cello concerto - editing something out there...)

Dundonnell

The Foulds is around 30 minutes long, the Simpson 23 minutes and the Arnold Cooke 25 minutes........so they might just fit on a single disc ;D

...or-if not-then the Daniel Jones at 20 minutes certainly would fit.

albion

They might as well just have done with it and make a double-album.

;D

Dundonnell

We are all getting a bit greedy ;D ;D

Well...I speak for myself, naturally ;D

Dundonnell

The Lennox Berkeley is a mere 21 minutes long ;D

albion

eschiss1

Full score of the Standford (cataloged as Patric Stanford, it figures) is at LoC too, it seems...

albion

Quote from: Albion on Friday 14 October 2011, 16:24
Better pop that one in as well then.

;)

And if there is still some room left over, they could do the decent thing and give us Stanley Bate's Concerto (c.1953) - autograph at the RCM (MS 5881).

;)

Greg K

Another work I don't believe has been mentioned is Wilfred Josephs' 1962 Concerto
"Cantus Natalis" (Op.34).  If I can ever get the hang of uploading on mediafire I'll
make available the 1971 W.P. performance with Thomas Igloi, the BBC Northern SO,
& Bryden Thomson.  It's a brooding, even morose piece. 

Dundonnell

Quote from: Greg K on Monday 24 October 2011, 02:30
Another work I don't believe has been mentioned is Wilfred Josephs' 1962 Concerto
"Cantus Natalis" (Op.34).  If I can ever get the hang of uploading on mediafire I'll
make available the 1971 W.P. performance with Thomas Igloi, the BBC Northern SO,
& Bryden Thomson.  It's a brooding, even morose piece.

Please do ;D ;D

BFerrell

Dutton will release the Foulds Cello Concerto in February 2012.

Dundonnell

Quote from: Tapiola on Saturday 19 November 2011, 21:39
Dutton will release the Foulds Cello Concerto in February 2012.

Do you happen to have heard what Dutton are coupling the Foulds with?

BFerrell

Dutton is extremely tight lipped. I know they had Wallfisch for the sessions in late June. It may be an all cello disc. I'll try to find out more but they can be challenging to deal with. ;D

Dundonnell

Exciting to speculate at least ;D.....as we did in those previous posts on this thread :)