Unrecorded British Cello Concertos

Started by Dundonnell, Sunday 02 October 2011, 19:48

Previous topic - Next topic

chill319

To my taste Scott's Symphony 1 and unnumbered piano sonata are among the cream of what young British composers were writing in 1899. Does anyone happen to know if his 1902 Cello Concerto has been performed in recent decades?

BFerrell

albion

Quote from: chill319 on Friday 02 December 2011, 07:54To my taste Scott's Symphony 1 and unnumbered piano sonata are among the cream of what young British composers were writing in 1899. Does anyone happen to know if his 1902 Cello Concerto has been performed in recent decades?

The complete autograph score of Scott's early Cello Concerto, Op.19 is at the Grainger Museum, Melbourne (MG C2/SCO-44), but the work has never been played.

:(

musiclover

VW/Matthews Dark Pastoral has been recorded I believe by Guy Johnstone, Martin Yates & the RSNO for Dutton.....also there is a whisper that Dutton will be recording the early Cyril Scott Cello Concerto with Wallfisch & Yates....worth watching for I think

albion

Quote from: musiclover on Friday 29 June 2012, 04:28there is a whisper that Dutton will be recording the early Cyril Scott Cello Concerto with Wallfisch & Yates....worth watching for I think

Thanks for this, even if it is only a whisper - the more often that we have the opportunity to hear Scott's larger works in first-class performances the better. Wallfisch is undoubtedly a great asset to Dutton, as is Martin Yates - long may they remain active for the company. There are at least two other pieces for cello and orchestra - Philomel (c.1925) and The Melodist and the Nightingales (1929), besides several other unrecorded concertos and various orchestral works. It would be nice to see another all-Scott orchestral disc (to supplement the four magnificant ones from Chandos), but, if this is not practicable, the Concerto would do very nicely!

:)