News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Concertos for Orchestra

Started by Dundonnell, Monday 10 October 2011, 22:57

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Hrm. If the Slonimsky work you're referring to is "Concerto for Orchestra, three electric guitars and solo instruments" then it may not count by the standards here :) (but it is pre-1981 at least! )

Dundonnell

The von Einem is from 1943 and the Tansman is from 1954: so they both qualify ;D

The Gregson dates from 1983, Hoddinott from 1986, the McCabe from 1982 and the Schurmann from 1996.

The Tower was composed in 1991 and the Higdon in 2002. Strictly speaking, the Benjamin Lees is a "Concerto for Chamber Orchestra".

The others I don't know about off-hand.

You may see why I imposed my cut-off of 20 years ago ;D A lot more Concertos for Orchestra have been composed in the last two decades.

Dundonnell

So......

relating these to countries ;D ;D...

The first Concerto for Orchestra wriiten by a composer from a particular country would be:

Austria:              von Einem(1943)
Czech Republic:  Kalabis(1966)
Denmark:            Bentzon(1963)
Germany:            Hindemith(1925)
Hungary:             Kodaly(1939)
Italy:                   Malipiero(1931) ('Concerti')
Norway:              Baden(1968)
Poland:               Szeligowski(1930)
Russia:                Starokadomsky(1937)
Switzerland:        Beck(1928) ('Symphony No.4')
United Kingdom: Tippett(1963)
U.S.A.:                 Piston(1933)

(As Amended)

Can't find a Dutch, Finnish, French, or Swedish example.

Was Tippett really the first British composer to write a Concerto for Orchestra??

eschiss1

I take it you're not counting the Vuataz because of the modifier :), likewise the Roussel... as to Swedish composers, Rolf Martinsson's quite recent Concerto for Orchestra (only a few years old, that piece) counts, of course, and is being played in recent concerts. Though I would think there's an earlier one.

Dundonnell

Quote from: eschiss1 on Tuesday 11 October 2011, 15:41
I take it you're not counting the Vuataz because of the modifier :), likewise the Roussel...

I know this a (slightly) silly exercise ;D ;D but I was taking it in the sense of a "Concerto for Orchestra"-strictly defined-which aimed to exploit the roles of the different sections of a full orchestra, a la Bartok. I am, of course, well aware that different composers have interpreted the title in completely different ways :)

eschiss1

so how did Vuataz interpret it? I don't even know his piece. I've seen recordings of his mentioned for quite some time but don't think I've heard his music yet. Erland von Koch's similarly named Konsert for liten Orkester likewise (I've only heard a few pieces of his but not that one)- similar name, but doesn't necessarily imply similar approach to Roussel or to Bartók- one needs to know the piece before deciding. I think I may have Roussel's or have access to it and will get back to you... (the title is different and based on that one can delete it; I have no trouble following that rule.)

And speaking for myself only anyway I have no trouble at all with silly or slightly silly exercises, and fill up a lot of time with such lists. Sometimes very interesting things fall out of them all the same. But at least we can count the Martinsson ;) (while looking for an earlier Swede.)

eschiss1

Finnish: Mikko Heiniö (b.1948), 1982, opus 40. (not necessarily the earliest one, again, but take this one and work back :) )

Callipygian

Stepan Degtiarev - Concert for orchestra (late 18th century, can't find exact year)
Enrique Llácer 'Regolí' - Concierto para orquesta Op. 25 - Welleriana (1960s?)

Post-1981: Menachem Zur - Concert for Orchestra - 2001

albion

I think we should include *****'s exhilarating ***** and possibly the ***** as well.

:-X

eschiss1

Danish: Niels Viggo Bentzon's opus 148 Concerto for Orchestra (1963) predates the Koppel.
Albion- note first post :) "Concerto for orchestra" and translated terms only in this thread... otherwise would have argued very strongly for Holmboe's "8th concerto" (which definitely is a concerto for orchestra as usually understood, despite the name "Sinfonia concertante"- sinfonia concertante for whom? :) The string section gets a solo in one of the 2nd movement variations, but so do the brass (with percussion.), and besides... :) ).

albion

Quote from: eschiss1 on Tuesday 11 October 2011, 16:33Albion- note first post :) "Concerto for orchestra" and translated terms only in this thread

Duly noted and expunged.

;)

alberto

The right title of Malipiero 1931 work is "Concerti" (plural) for orchestra. I heard just once in an actual concert. Anyway it keeps rigthly its place in this thread.

eschiss1

also: Swiss: Conrad Beck Symphony 4 "Konzert für Orchester" (1928). That counts, I do think. (Well, arguable, but I'll argue it? :) Admittedly it's earlyish.)

Dundonnell

Thanks for all this information :)

Bentzon certainly replaces Koppel. Conrad Beck gets the honour for the Swiss. Malipiero keeps at the top of the Italian list pro tem ;D ;D

Rainolf

Heinrich Kaminski's Concerto grosso for double orchestra predates Hindemith's work, it's from 1923. So Kaminski would be the first German, who composed an orchestra concerto.