News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Felix Draeseke

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 21 October 2011, 19:38

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

A very good point, though I was thinking in Germany and Austria rather than outside it.  (For example, a search in the Leipzig Gewandhaus database reveals one concert in 1880-1889 (a song in 1883), two in 1890-1899 (a song  in 1896, and the 3rd symphony in 1898), a few in 1900-1909 (symphony 3 again in 1905 and 1907, serenade again in 1905), a few between 1910 and 1914 (3rd symphony in 1910 and 1913, Der Heinzelmännchen Op.41 in 1912).  A similar check of the Vienna Symphony's database reveals one event, but an interesting one on February 18 1939, with the overture to the opera Gudrun, a work by Ewald Straesser (Frühlingsbilder, Op.35), Schillings' Vorspiel zum 2. Akt der Oper "Ingwelde" op. 3, and other works... the program book for the 1889 season of the Berlin Philharmonic (downloadable in full from Google Books) also has Bülow conducting the Tragica on December 10 1888. This more closely reflects the sort of frequency with which I remember his works being performed, not once in 20 years, but I did not claim his was an international fame- nor, again, do I recall Mr. Neuenwelt saying "got performed internationally" - just "got performed".

eschiss1

Re New York Philharmonic and the serenade: 1889, not 1899. Where's 1899 from?

New York Philharmonic Archives. (Nov. 8 and 9, 1889.)

Alan Howe

Who wrote one of the truly great Requiems of the 19th century? Watch this space...

Reverie

For me it would be Verdi ....

But then thinking about it .... after the clamour and proclomation  it would be Faure without question.

It would have to be peaceful and meditative.

eschiss1

In context, I'm guessing you're referring to one of this composer's two Requiems...

Alan Howe

QuoteIn context, I'm guessing you're referring to one of this composer's two Requiems...

No, I'm referring to just one of them. The other was written early in the twentieth century.

As I said, watch this space...

Mark Thomas

... the space is now filled: download Draeseke's B minor Requiem from our Downloads Board here

Alan Howe

Thanks, Mark. Much appreciated.

eschiss1

From the lineup, the performers in the Requiem broadcast seem to be the same as on the existing LP recording from the 1980s. (Then again, since we have an item uploaded - Taneyev Oresteia opera - which is available online commercially too, apparently our rules about uploading things that are or have been available commercially have been suspended :) )

Mark Thomas

I was unaware that the Draeseke Requiem had been an LP, Eric, and I'll investigate that, thanks. As for Oresteia, the video is still freely available on the ASO website, so it's effectively public domain already, and the commercial release is mp3 only as far as I know. The rules haven't been suspended.

eschiss1

Mark Thomas

Eric, you're correct, this live performance was released on LP in the early 1980s. I understand (but can't find any concrete evidence) that the broadcast from which the recording in our Downloads Board was made was also live, rather than of the LP, and so technically they're different recordings. That said, the doubt is sufficient for me to remove the post, which I've done. However, if anyone would like a copy of the radio recording please email or PM me, and I'll supply a copy.

Alan Howe

This magnificent work (in the same performance) can also be heard on YouTube, here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG6NKM7Co4U&t=29s

The accompanying details give 'private tape' as the origin of that recording, but Mark is right to be cautious about what we offer at UC.

The Draeseke Webpages give the following information about the LP:

(Schwann) Polyphonia POL 63007 [LP]
Requiem in b-minor for Soloists, Chorus and Orchestra, op 22
Jeanette Zarou [sop], Ulla Tocha [alto], Karl Markus [ten], Phillip Langshaw [bar]
Leichlinger Kantorei
Collegium Instrumentale Köln
Udo-R Follert, conductor

Oliver Fraenzke

Draeseke is surely one of the most important composers of the 19th century. The main problem why he is misunderstood so often is the fact, that his music is not easy to catch: You need a good sense of counterpoint, awareness of harmonic situations of tension and solution as well as a fine taste of melodic lines. The big names of the 19th and early 20th century mostly do have this and this is why they were able to transport the music. Today only a few musicians can get along with this and the listeners often neighter.

By the way, take a look at his most important student: Paul Büttner. 4. great symphonies and other large scale works mostly never played.

adriano

One of these days I will make a nice digital transfer of this Draeseke LP - just give me some time :-)
The Youtube transfer is often overridden...