Holst's Costwolds Symphony and others from Naxos

Started by M. Henriksen, Friday 11 November 2011, 22:35

Previous topic - Next topic

sdtom

M. Henriksen

I would just like to mention that we established a topic (http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,1929.msg22869.html) for this record back in November 2011. Could the administrators merge it together with the new one maybe?

Morten

Mark Thomas

AS you can see, I've done just that. Thanks for the tip.

M. Henriksen

Dylan

Well a preliminary audition suggests that (as expected?) JoAnn Falletta makes a much better case for the Cotswold Symphony than the rather faceless earlier recording, with a more nuanced and fully characterised performance; but having said that, it's still no masterpiece, although the chief problem remains the inexplicably perfunctory first movement - what was Holst thinking? But if one is prepared to think of it as a superior orchestral suite, then it's a thoroughly enjoyable piece of music on its own terms, even if I still don't find the slow movement quite as profound as many commentators tell me it is. Nevertheless, a recording I wasn't at all sure was necessary turns out to be decidedly worth making and having...(A quick listen to another new Naxos recording - Delius' Mass of Life - suggests to me a very valiant effort only handicapped by what sounds like a slightly under-strength choir; under-strength for this piece that is, which really demands a wall of sound at times; but it's early days (evenings) yet, and I need to listen some more...)