News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Hopes for 2012

Started by M. Henriksen, Friday 11 November 2011, 23:12

Previous topic - Next topic

M. Henriksen

It's still 2011, but I would like to hear what expectations you have till next year when it comes to recordings of the unsung.

Personally I'm still waiting for cpo to release Jan van Gilse's 3rd Symphony and also to release the first of a Kallstenius series. Both records were announced to be released "soon" in the 2010 catalogue. Soon is obviously a very subjective term.

Other expectations: Chisholm's Piano Concertos from Hyperion in April 2012, and hopefully Noskowski's 3rd Symphony from Sterling.

Morten

Dundonnell

I second your hopes that CPO will release the van Gilse and the Kallstenius in 2012 ;D

I also hope that CPO will continue in 2012 with their release of the symphonies of  Henk Badings, that we might see the first of their recordings of Johann Nepomuk David and that we get the Panufnik Metasinfonia.

Dutton will, no doubt, delight and surprise us....with more Stanley Bate? with the Foulds Cello Concerto and the David Matthews Symphony No.7 certainly, perhaps, maybe the Robert Simpson Piano Concerto?

I would like to look forward to more interesting Swedish music from BIS but I fear that I shall be disappointed there :(

mbhaub

I would like to read the the following projects are in the works:

Video productions of Schmidt's operas, Notre Dame and Fredigundis
Neeme Jarvi is recording Gliere's Ilya Murometz
The 3rd and 4th symphonies of Maximillian Steinberg will be done.
Raff's oratorio Welt Ende and opera King Alfred are being recorded by CPO.

I am certain that a few of those will occur: maybe not next year, but eventually.

eschiss1

at a guess, Jarvi looks more likely to be recording a new version of the Scharwenka 4th (I'm not complaining, it's a good piece) at least judging from the concert schedule at his own website. that's a guess, though. but as to hopes... I'd like to see the Jadassohn symphonies start to come out on cpo, and the Sträßer and Weismann orchestral and concertante orchestral works (some of which we know Albert and Francis have conducted and some of which we even sort-of-know/know are slated for eventual cpo release.) (Recordings of more of Weismann's, and "real" - apologies to SBB! (question of more, not instead, I say.) -recordings of Sträßer's quartets (plus his piano quintet, trio, violin sonata, etc. etc.) - would be rather good- in my opinion...
(Hrm. 7-8 December - Järvi: Raff Concert overture. well: that's promising.)
And Alun Francis lists "NORDWESTDEUTSCHE PHILHARMONIE — Julius Weissmann Sinfonia "Brevis" op.116 / Sinfonietta "Severa" op. 111 / Violin Concerto op. 98" in his discography already... (http://www.alunfrancis.com/discography.php)
Hrm... :)

Mark Thomas

I would love Martin's wish come true for cpo to record Raff's Welt Ende oratorio and opera König Alfred, although actually his Wagner-inspired music drama Samson would be the opera I'd choose. Neither prospect is very likely I'm afraid and, if they were recorded, with cpo's snail's-pace release schedule the worry would be whether I'd live long enough to see them actually issued! For the last two years they have been promising "next year" for volume II of the Raff string quartets, all eight of which have now been recorded by the Mannheim Quartet.

Still on the Raff front, it looks fairly certain that Neeme Järvi and the Suisse Romande Orchestra will be recording at least Raff's Lenore Symphony for Chandos, which should be a special event, and Sterling should be issuing a CD of his religious choral music, half of the programme being works with orchestra, the other half a capella. We can also expect definitely one, and probably two CDs of his piano works from Tra Nguyen on a major label.

Turning to other composers, I hope that we'll see a second Rufinatscha symphony recording on Chandos from Noseda. More than anything else though, I share everyone else's frustration at cpo's log jam of recordings and hope that we'll see them speed up their schedule so that we have a few Nicodé, Sträßer, Jadassohn etc. CDs to look forward to next year.

eschiss1

As possibly the only Weingartner fan here (-maybe- joking) I see that the only cpo project proceeding apace is their set of recordings of his works (volume 3 of his string chamber works is just coming out) - and comparing what was announced in a 1994-ish cpo catalog to when the items within actually arrived on the market (most of them did) does tend to re-prove the point...

Alan Howe

I largely echo Mark's wish-list - Jadassohn symphonies and Urspruch Symphony & PC from cpo, Raff 5 from Chandos, Rufinatscha 5 & PC (also from Chandos). But I'm also looking to be surprised by something unexpected!
The largest backlog of unreleased materials belongs to cpo - I'm sure there are some treasures among them!
Finally: a mini-revival of the music of Percy Sherwood!

albion

Certainly, I should be more than a little surprised if we aren't in for another enterprising year for Dutton - I'm sure that the Percy Sherwood Piano Concerto No.2 will be only one amongst many exciting premiere recordings that we can look forward to.

;D

From CPO I would especially hope to see a continuation of their Holbrooke series with the unfortunately-delayed disc of Symphony No.3 (Ships), the Grasshopper Violin Concerto and the Auld Lang Syne Variations. As Alan has said, this company seems to stock-pile recordings so there will be a huge backlog and, as far as I'm aware, Howard Griffiths has not set these works down yet.

???

Having expressed an encouraging interest in Scottish Romantics, it would be wonderful if Chandos could record and issue some orchestral music by Learmont Drysdale and Alexander Mackenzie with Andrew Davis conducting.

:)

And I'm sure that Colin is hoping to have his wonderful transfer programme more-or-less finished and begin 2012 with more free-time!

;)

alberto

My wish-list:
I.Pizzetti Symphony in A
                Cello Concerto
A.Casella "War pages" (orchestral version)
G.F.Ghedini Partita for orchestra
                   Architetture (concerto for orchestra)

alberto

I have to add:
G.F.Ghedini Four pieces by Frescobaldi transcribed for orchestra
                   Pezzo concertante for two violins, viola and orch.
G.F.Malipiero Concerti for orchestra
                      Cello concerto

Dundonnell

I add my hopes for more Italian music, including the works named by alberto.

Regarding CPO's release programme-the company can press ahead quickly sometimes. The Panufnik cycle from Lukasz Borowiczi is proceeding apace.

(I haven't yet properly mined my own collection of non-British music ;D)

Alan Howe

Let's not get too much into wish-lists, please. The topic is about the things we are looking forward to encountering in 2012 (suggesting that we know they're supposed to be coming out at some stage).

Jimfin

Since there was already a rumour of it, I hope for Holbrooke's 'The Bells', along with the orchestral version of his Violin concerto. If we're going really loony, I hope for all the so far unrecorded Havergal Brian Symphonies (or maybe just a box set of the whole cycle, and a Covent Garden production of Faust).

eschiss1

re suggesting we know they're supposed to be coming out at some stage soonish if not necessarily this next year- thank you for the clarification (and yes, I didn't get what was meant.)  Apologies, again !
Hrm. ... Actually, I have several ideas where I can find some information on recording projects (almost definitely no ideas that others couldn't use just as easily of course- following up ensemble and performer recording schedules where possible - or composer fan club pages where they're well-informed - and a few others.) Apologies for hopefully mostly on-topic loquacity which will be juxtaposed later today with content...

britishcomposer

Quote from: alberto on Saturday 12 November 2011, 13:45
I have to add:
G.F.Ghedini Four pieces by Frescobaldi transcribed for orchestra
                   Pezzo concertante for two violins, viola and orch.
G.F.Malipiero Concerti for orchestra
                      Cello concerto

alberto, do you have recordings of these pieces or would you like me to upload Ghedini and the Malipiero Cello Concerto?