Forthcoming Schoeck from Hyperion

Started by alberto, Sunday 13 November 2011, 14:21

Previous topic - Next topic

alberto

I gather from the Italian magazine "Musica" that Chloe Hanslip, Alexander Vedernikov and the Italian Swiss Radio Orchestra have recorded the violin concerto by Schoeck and Glazunov (I suppose for a "Romantic Violin Concerto" release).
I love the Schoeck a lot and I am a candidate to buy the forthcoming record (I have already the Novalis and Claves recording, probably now unavailable).
Will it be a kind of "odd couple" (as the Glazunov is much more recorded than the Schoeck)?
Obviously it is not like the Schubert-Gal symphonies "case"; but is it maximum of logical to couple a fairly performed and recorded (Glazunov) with a fairly unsung and underrecorded (Schoeck)?

erato

It's a pity that the current trend seems to be to couple interesting stuff (Schoech, I have a Swiss disc on LP coupled with the horn concerto) with a perennial warhorse that nobody wants more versions of.......at least a new version of the Martin would hav been nice (but probably not romantic enough).

eschiss1

hrm. not sure I would call it an increasing trend (I remember this happening, and the arguments for and against, 20 years ago and don't know if it's happening more or less often now or as much.)
Glad to hear about the new recording, though- thank you.

Alan Howe

Wouldn't this coupling make a rather short CD?

eschiss1

hrm. at a guess they could fill it out either with other Glazunov violin works (not all of which have been recorded many times), or maybe with some other work by Schoeck (the Festlicher Praeludium??)... guessing the former though... there are two unrecorded concertante works by Schoeck apparently but they're both fragments of piano concerto movements, not complete works.

erato

At least the forthcoming Reger violin concerto is long enough that they don't need to fill the disc wait a warhorse, just Reger's own two romances.

JimL

If it is a RVC release, then they may find a third concertante work, either by Glazunov or another composer.  Didn't Glazunov have any shorter concertante works for violin?

eschiss1

Yes, the Meditation in D op32, and the Mazurka-Oberek arrangement (op.100).

Gareth Vaughan

My, gentlemen! Such fertile speculation! And all from one article in an Italian magazine and a supposition of Alberto's.

alberto

I just forgot to write ".....recorded FOR HYPERION in Lugano". The magazine said nothing else.

eschiss1

hrm. they might not have been meant for the same CD...

Gareth Vaughan

Alan Howe

erato

Maybe they use this site to spy out possible couplings. Any suggestions for preferred couplings? Any interesting Swiss romantic violin concertoes?

alberto

Personally I would hear Willy Burkhardt violin concerto, as it had the same dedidatee as the Schoeck (the violinist Stefi Geyer);
it belongs to the '40s. Apparently exists a recording coupled to the (on paper interesting) Violin Concerto by Paul Juon.