News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Father and son Fesca

Started by Peter1953, Thursday 01 October 2009, 16:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter1953

Dear friends,

This morning I heard the 2nd movement of the Septet No. 1 in C Minor, op. 26, by Alexander Ernst Fesca. A most lovely piece of chamber music for piano, violin, viola, cello, double bass, oboe and horn, from a composer I've never heard of. The music has almost a symphonic grandeur.

CPO has released some music from father Friedrich Ernst Fesca (1789-1826) and son Alexander Ernst Fesca (1820-1849). Some chamber music and Symphonies 1, 2 and 3 from the father, and two Septets opp. 26 & 28 from the son.

Anyone familiar with these composers and their music?

Peter

edurban

Some fine music from this very short-lived pair (neither made it out of his 30s.)
Fesca fils' 1st septet far and away the best of their recorded works, with excellent scoring and really beautiful memories.  The symphonies by Fesca, pere, remind me of Vorisek's lone symphony, but not as assured in form or distinctive in content.  Pleasant, though.  There used to be a Turnabout lp of the 1st septet with Hummel Grand Military as its b-side, but the curently available cpo disc is much better played.  Those who like Hummel might well investigate the younger Fesca's disc.  The older Fesca, I think, is more for Fesca family completists.

David

edurban

Did I write "really beautiful memories"?  Ha!  It should read "melodies"....

David

Syrelius

Quote from: edurban on Friday 02 October 2009, 03:35
The older Fesca, I think, is more for Fesca family completists.
I must disagree with you there. I really like the Fesca symphonies and would recommend them to those who like e g the Weber symphonies.

Peter1953

Thanks David and Syrelius for your posts.
I could not resist the temptation and ordered seniors 3 Symphonies and juniors Septets.

izdawiz

Hi all,

I'm with you Syrelius,

The Fesca Symphonies are very good I Recommend then too . lots of energy. I also tried the string quartets but wasn't too satisfied.. they are plesent yet  too predictable for  my taste. Good quartet writing  in the Cassical style not Romantic. They didn't grab me by the throat.

Peter1953

My first impression of father Fesca's 3 Symphonies is that it's a pleasure to hear, but very predictable music in a (not even so late) classical style. It could have been composed by Joseph Haydn, during some off-days. Not to his usual standard, but, well, people will like it anyhow.
Since Friedrich Ernst was concertmaster to the Grand Duke of Baden, it's very well possible that he had to write music in a style according to the instructions of the Duke. Not too difficult, no brainstorming novelties, just for entertainment.
Having said this, all these orchestral works on both discs (including four overtures opp. 19, 28, 41 and 43) are fine works. Maybe my judgement is a bit harsh, and if so, the reason is that after listening to these new discs, I immediately listened to another acquisition, Cliffe's Symphony. I know, incomparable because Fesca's works are from 1810-16, while Cliffe created his opus 1 in 1889.

The other disc couples the two Septets, opp. 26 and 28 by the son Alexander Ernst. Lovely, although not outstanding chamber music. Six instruments are only accompanying the piano, which fulfils the absolute leading role. The music is reminiscent of Hummel and Ries. Generally speaking, not early romantic but late classical. Brilliant piano writing, but without depth. This is of course my personal opinion.

One disc mentions another cpo release with two Piano Quintets from Louise Farrenc (1804-75). I've never heard of this female composer. Anyone does?

JimL

Oh, yeah!  Farrenc got a lot of attention on the old Forum, and probably merits a thread on this one, along with her Romantic female cohort.