The Romantic Piano Concerto, Vol. 56

Started by FBerwald, Thursday 17 November 2011, 11:48

Previous topic - Next topic

TerraEpon

Well there's always Carnival of the Animals...

giles.enders

I am not aware of many near contemporary concertos for either four hands or two pianos.  George Vogler is reported as having written one for four hands and one for two pianos but I know very little about them.  There is also one by Ignaz Umlauf 174601796.  Franz Frohlich 1780-1862 wrote a delightful one for two pianos and orchestra  (1810) which was recorded some years ago by Koch.

Gareth Vaughan

The Koch disk you mention, Giles, has long been unavailable, alas! - and I agree that the Frohlich is utterly charming, so it would be good to have a new recording of that.

Peter1953

The extracts of both piano concertos and the Adagio ed Allegro di bravura can be listened here.

They sound satisfying to the ear but are little surprising. These concertos could also have been written by composers like Cramer, Czerny, Field, Herz, Ries and even Hummel. Or is this too easy? Nevertheless, the CD will give me a pleasant listening hour.

JimL

There's the quote mentioned in the liner notes that I attributed to Schumann.  Evidently, there is no F-sharp minor concerto.  I recalled reading something from Schumann's pen to the effect that Kalkbrenner was writing pieces in F-sharp minor and saying Romantic-sounding things like the first movement was a military procession, the Adagio was a shepherd's pastorale and the finale was a peasant celebration, but I was probably in 8th grade at the time, so my memory isn't entirely clear.  The quote about F-sharp minor apparently can be properly credited to Mendelssohn.  The 3rd concerto does sound interesting, even though it's in A minor, not F-sharp minor as I had expected.

reineckeforever

About Mendelssohn -Moscheles piano & orchestra piece, I remember a set of variotions on a theme from Weber's Preciosa.
I remember a recording of it played by Paratore brothers.
bye Andrea

jerfilm

The Precioza variations was on an Lp many years ago.... I have it, but am away from Minnesota now for the winter so not good for uploads...

Jerry

eschiss1

I think I saw it uploaded already, actually.  A track from a LP (set, I think?) the rest of which (the early 2-piano concertos) was reissued (same performance/recording/etc.) on a CBS Masterworks CD 6 years later in 1988 (but not the variations, which haven't obtained CD reissue.)

Mark Thomas

Peter1953 wrote:
Quotethese concertos could also have been written by composers like Cramer, Czerny, Field, Herz, Ries and even Hummel.
I downloaded them a few days ago and have listened to all three pieces three times and, as Peter implies, they come across as fairly typical of their period apart, of course, from the technique demanded to play them which is clearly formidable. Once the soloist enters, the piano is almost always to the fore; they are, like Chopin's concertos, pretty much piano pieces with an orchestral accompaniment which fills out the textures. Melodically they're well supplied, but undistinguished. They a very tinkly pieces and clearly served as a vehicle for Kalkbrenner's virtuosity. No undiscovered masterpieces here, I think, but each receives a wonderfully accomplished performance.

IMHO they're ideal background music for reading or composing a UC post - which is just what my favourite amongst them - the Adagio ed Allegro di bravura - is serving as now!.

jerfilm

Gosh, Lucky You.  Where did you find it to download?  it's not supposed to hit the market for over a month......

Mark Thomas

Here's the link to the download page, Jerry. I assume it works for the US too.

jerfilm

Thank you kind sir - it is downloaded as I type.   Couldn't seem to access any reference to it from here except that it's slated for release in March.  I expect within 10 minutes my Visa card wil be blocked.  The last time I ordered some discs from Presto there, I hadn't hit enter more than 3 minutes before when my phone rang and it was Visa card services in Miami checking on the transaction.   I guess we should be grateful for their vigilance.....

Anyway, thanks again.

petershott@btinternet.com

Maybe those folk at Visa keep a special eye on chaps who purchase interesting and rewarding music? I had exactly the same experience on Monday when (in the UK) I ordered the Aeon CD of Georges Witkowski's Piano Quintet and String Quartet in E from France.

Who is going to volunteer to attempt buy some proper old rubbish (or Stockhausen) with a Visa card to see if the same thing happens?

thalbergmad

Personally, I am more comfortable with Kalkbrenner's shorter works. Unlike the 1st Concerto, I did not think there was simply enough interesting material with the 2nd and 3rd to justify the length, or at least to hold my attention.

The Adagio ed Allegro di Bravura was the highlight for me and I had spent some time "trying" to play it before the release. Thankfully, Mr Shelley's performance was a million times superior to my effort.

Hopefully, Mr Shelley will direct his efforts towards the Potter Concerti. That really will be something.

Thal

Rob H

Marginally on-topic (as it regards the RPC series) but has there been an update from Mike as what the series will hold after the Wiklund - which is, I assume, Vol 57? That was where the last list that I saw posted ended.
Rob