News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Samuragochi Symphony No.1

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 19 November 2011, 19:00

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Yes, I've also not been able to resist temptation here and what with the purchase of the Hyperion recording of Havergal Brian's 'Gothic Symphony' (I was there so how could I not get a copy?) it has been a rather expensive week.  So my family will just have to do without Christmas presents. hehehe

malito

I just ordered my copy from Japan...$68-plus dollars, the most expensive in my collection of 2000+ Cds.  Sounds wonderful.  Back in the day, I was among the very few people to have a reel to reel of the Gothic symphony and Dr. Peter Racine Fricker brought his graduate class in music theory to my home to hear it.  I am just getting the new one on Hyperion for Xmas from my wife.  I can't wait to get the Samuragochi sometime in January.  I hope the others are recorded someday.  THANK YOU forbringing this to my attention (arrigato!!!)  Mal

Peter1953

I live in the Netherlands and ordered my copy 18 December and received it 22 December. Excellent and quick service from Japan!
The booklet notes look pretty extensive in Japanese, but there is a good summary in English and that turns out to be an interesting article by Seiji Choki about the future of the modern day symphony in general, and of course a commentary on Samuragochi's Hiroshima Symphony. What it also makes so worthwhile reading is the fact that it is discussed from a Japanese point of view.
The symphony is magical. The quality of the CD and presentation in general is state-of-the-art.

vandermolen

Quote from: malito on Saturday 24 December 2011, 04:10
I just ordered my copy from Japan...$68-plus dollars, the most expensive in my collection of 2000+ Cds.  Sounds wonderful.  Back in the day, I was among the very few people to have a reel to reel of the Gothic symphony and Dr. Peter Racine Fricker brought his graduate class in music theory to my home to hear it.  I am just getting the new one on Hyperion for Xmas from my wife.  I can't wait to get the Samuragochi sometime in January.  I hope the others are recorded someday.  THANK YOU forbringing this to my attention (arrigato!!!)  Mal

How great that you were in Fricker's class. I have the highest opinion of his Symphony No 2 with its very exciting ending. I am really looking forward to receiving the Samuragochi too.

Dundonnell

Quote from: malito on Saturday 24 December 2011, 04:10

How interesting that you knew Peter Racine Fricker :)

You will see that we have quite an extensive collection of Fricker's music on this site, many of the pieces included were recorded by me on reel-to-reel tapes in the 1973-82 period when his music was still being played on BBC Radio(unlike today :().

DennisS

I too have succumbed and ordered my copy of the CD direct from Japan via Amazon. In view of the praise lavished on this symphony, to pay £30 pounds plus for the CD is worth it. I am looking forward to receiving my copy. I have already been told that the CD is in the post!

Dennis

DennisS

Further to my previous post, I received my cd from Japan within a week of placing my order. I have since listened to the symphony several times and I get more out of the music each time I listen. The music is very powerful, impressive and moving - a stunning work, well worth the £30 + I paid for the cd.

Cheers
Dennis

Mark Thomas

I was playing it again, only a few days ago. What a magnificent composition it is, and with a truly cathartic end. I wonder if it can establish itself in the worldwide repertoire? If ever a modern work deserved to, this is it.

erato

In that case there need to be more, and cheaper, recordings. At the available price, Norwegian VAT and processing charges set in, and a disc wil cost me over £ 50, all included. For a single disc, I find that slightly over the top, however good the music.

febnyc

Has anyone located an English translation of the (extensive) Japanese texts in the Denon booklet?  I would like to read more analysis of the work, and the English portions really give little insight.

karelm

I'm intregued by the this work and the positive response its received on this board.  I haven't yet purchased but I found this on youtube.  Without being able to read the text, is this documentary the same work?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLQUd0hDyZ0

It reminds me of a Mahlerian adagio finale...monumental and noble.  I can only imagine what the rest of the work is like and hope to get it soon.

fr8nks

Yes it is the same work. The symphony is subtitled "Hiroshima". There are links on UC that will allow you to listen to a total of 22 minutes of the symphony.

Crescendo

There is good news on the availability -

Amazon has it now as MP3 download for anyone who wants to skip the inflated Import CD price.
http://www.amazon.com/Symphony-No-1-Hiroshima/dp/B00CYW02FK/ref=sr_1_1?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&qid=1370302217&sr=1-1&keywords=hiroshima

BTW. For me this is one of the greatest discoveries this year so far. Something "contemporary" that goes full force with the orchestra in such a post-romantic sense is a rarity these days (Really, who else does it?). Not to mention that this is absolutely deep, profound and captivating music. Beautiful, how the end turns into something positive, one might even feel a sense of forgiveness. The whole thing is a treat for the soul.

M. Yaskovsky

Pity this is only for US customers I think, not for Dutchies like me :(

eschiss1

Hrm... there's still one in stock (though at 24 pounds) at UK Amazon, and some available from 3rd parties for 36 Euros at amazon.de ...