News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Raff box from Tudor

Started by Mark Thomas, Saturday 10 October 2009, 16:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Pengelli

Had a listen now. It sounds okay,but I bet when I put the Tudor disc on I'll notice the difference! Not having heard No 4 before, I have a feeling the performance is probably a little pedestrian,judging by what little Raff I've heard so far. The proverbial halfpenny worth of tar,perhaps? Still enjoyable though. I get the feeling the performers are doing their best with the resources they have. I had to replace the front of the cd jewel case though,tut,tut!

albion

I used to have the Hyperion release of the 3rd and 4th symphonies - I think the word for most of the music-making on it is "polite". There doesn't seem to be any of the risk-taking that Stadlmier indulges in. I know that his occasional unexpectedly fast tempi have been criticised, but I have no problem with the vigour and energy of his interpretations - I would far rather have these qualities (as exemplified in the Walpurgisnacht scherzo of the 8th) than a cautious, turgid or merely 'dutiful' reading.

As a conductor, he is evidently a very intelligent and (by now) highly knowledgeable interpreter of Raff - as has been said before, he plays the music as though it was already part of a standard repertoire to which he is bringing his own ideas: ultimately this makes listening to his pioneering recordings fascinating from both the musical and the interpretative standpoint.

Pengelli

Thank you for these useful observations. This is the first time I have heard most of the Raff symphonies &  just wanted to 'test the water',to use an analogy,before taking the plunge. 'Polite' or not,the performance on the Hyperion cd can't get in the way of my enjoyment of these symphonies,but I can certainly imagine them being done with a bit more vigour! In fact,I have got the Raff bug to such a degree I couldn't resist buying the Tudor cd of No's 8 & 10. Although,I did hesitate over an earlier recording of the 8th conducted by Gyorgy Lehel. Any comments on this performance,which I believe has a sort of place in 'Raff history',as a first ever recording? Is there anything going for it, at all,or it's companion piece,'Ode to Spring'? Or is it just a museum piece?

albion

Quote from: Pengelli on Tuesday 18 May 2010, 18:50
This is the first time I have heard most of the Raff symphonies &  just wanted to 'test the water',to use an analogy,before taking the plunge.
After taking the plunge with the Tudor box, I have just ordered the Shakespeare Preludes (Tudor), the Suite for Piano and Orchestra (Sterling) and the first Violin Concerto (Sterling) - and probably (at least as far as the bank is concerned) sunk without trace!

Alan Howe

VC1 on Sterling is probably my favourite Raff CD of all - such a glorious piece, restored to its pristine clarity and beauty in its original version. A work fully up to the standards of the repertoire VCs of its day.

Pengelli

I bought the Gyorgy Lehel conducted cd of Raff's eighth symphony,out of curiosity & the more recent Tudor cd of Symphonies 8 & 10. The Lehel just to see what it was like. Some people seem to think that it is quite a committed performance &the brass section is quite good. Also, it does seem to be a bit of Raff history,as a first recording! It might even help to underline exactly how much better the newer performance is. (The Raff website,as you know describes the Lehel's orchestra as overstretched?!).
Still can't get over just how good Raff is! Only five more symphonies to go.....

Pengelli

In fact Raff has succeeded in temporarily ousting Mozart & Langgaard from my turntable. ( But not Faure's piano or chamber music,which is arguably rather unsung. Anyway.....).

albion

Quote from: Alan Howe on Wednesday 12 May 2010, 10:16
And the Marco Polos all turn out to be better than one thought or remembered...
In view of the great offer currently on the classicsonline website (http://www.classicsonline.com/catalogue/product.aspx?pid=927446), I downloaded the Raff, Rubinstein and Spohr complete symphonies and have just finished putting them onto cd. Listening to another set of performances has really helped to fix some of the Raff in my memory (through comparison with the excellent Tudor set) and I really wanted to hear the unique extras (Jubel-Overture, Ein feste Burg ist unser Gott Overture and the Festmarsch). I am surprised at just how good some of the Marco Polo recordings are - certainly superior to many from the same stable - I would encourage those who haven't heard them to give them a try. From what I have sampled of the other downloads, the Spohr are excellent and the Rubinstein certainly more than listenable.

Pengelli

...three more Raff symphonies,to go! I now have No's 1, 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 10 & 11. Oh,and the Piano Concerto,which arrived today. I want to get No 7 next,and have considered buying the cpo recording,which is praised on the Raff website. Unfortunately, the,(Jubel Overture), coupling ,doesn't appeal to me,so I think I'll go for the remaining Tudor disc(s),instead. As to a favourite? Probably,the eighth,if I had to choose one,followed by the 9th & 4th. The first symphony  is, also, very impressive,and, to my mind,sustains one's interest, despite it's length. The 10th & 11th are,unsuprisingly,judging from what I have read,mainly on the excellent Raff site,less memorable in terms of themes,yet still very enjoyable. Indeed, it is quite possible, that I have been replaying my favourites so much,I just have't listened to them enough,yet,(probably!).
  As to the piano concerto. A lovely work, (I've got it on in the background now). Unfortunately,it is not the one recommended by the Raff website,but the one on the Tudor label, conducted by Bamert.

mbhaub

Whatever qualities the Marco Polo recording of the 3rd may have, for me they are totally compromised by the large cut taken in the finale. I'm not sure where, but I recall someone long ago mentioning cuts taken in some of the later symphonies as well. And the 5th: at least in the cd I have, the 3rd movement is missing the first second or so. I hope the download corrects that.

Pengelli

Cuts? I don't like the sound of that! Anyone else here got any views about this?