News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Robin Milford (1903-1959)

Started by britishcomposer, Wednesday 07 December 2011, 15:25

Previous topic - Next topic

britishcomposer

I think Robin deserves his own thread. He wasn't the man to write big stuff but he excelled very much in songs and finely crafted miniatures.
However, there are plans to record a few of his larger orchestral works. As Peter Hunter of the Milford Trust kindly told me, these are:

Concertino for Harpsichord and Strings op. 20 (1929)

Pastoral Fantasy, Op. 23, for small orchestra with violin solo (1930)

Symphony op. 34 (1933)

Concerto Grosso op. 46 (1936)

Violin Concerto op. 47 (1937)

'Ariel' Prelude op. 54 (1940)

More details are not known at the moment but the Symphony will be performed at next year's English Music Festival.

Alan Howe

Very interesting - thanks! Do you know anything about his style?

BFerrell

Vaughan Williams - Finzi. Pastoral, gentle, sad without RVWs anger. Finzi and RVW were his closest musical friends and primary supporters. When Finzi died in 1956 and RVW in 1958, Milford was devastated and it was one reason, it's believed, that he committed suicide in 1959.

Steppenwolf

Great news!!!!  ;D
I'll write to Peter for more details. Some time ago, he told me about the plans to record the Symphony and The Darkhling Trush with the RSNO or the Bournemouth Symphony (by the way, for the anniversary in 2009, I wrote to Dutton, Chandos, Naxos, Hyperion and Toccata about Milford, but I never received any answer). It'd be fantastic to listen these music of this neglected master... and perhaps, his operas, masques and oratorios later...

By the way, I uploaded some of his works (conducted by Christopher Finzi) in the Broadcasts section. Very recommendable           

Steppenwolf

Well, he comitted suicide for a number of reasons... He had an intense depression since the dead of his son (he even received electroshock therapy). But in my opinion, the main reason was the decision of the OUP to remove his music from their catalogue (sadly paradoxical... his father was the head of this editorial for decades). Furthermore, Finzi never told him about his illness.... the surprise left him devastated. 

BFerrell

As I said, the loss of RVW and Finzi was one reason. He'd carried  Barnaby's death with him for many years and tried suicide unsuccessfully several other times. The deaths of RVW and Finzi  plus OUP's decision to scrap his stuff were more immediate. No one can ever know the real reasons for a suicide. Just guesswork.

vandermolen

There is a beautiful Hyperion disc entitled 'Fishing by Moonlight'. Finzi comes to mind quite a lot (Dies Natalis in particular). It is ideal late night listening and is one of the few discs I can play regardless of what mood I am in. I strongle recommend the CD.  'Go, little book - Suite for flute, soprano and strings' is my favourite work on the CD - a lovely work. He wrote a Symphony which Vaughan Williams apparently thought highly of.

Steppenwolf

I think you can listen a digital mp3 recording of the symphony in the Milford Trust website. The first movement is pretty good.

Alan Howe

I've searched for the mp3, but with no success. Can you supply a link, please?

albion

As far as I can see the only links given for the symphony are related to a beautifully re-set full orchestral score, not a recording -

http://www.robinmilfordtrust.org.uk/work03.htm

:)

Mark Thomas

britishcomposer

Quote from: Albion on Sunday 11 December 2011, 11:13
As far as I can see the only links given for the symphony are related to a beautifully re-set full orchestral score, not a recording -

http://www.robinmilfordtrust.org.uk/work03.htm

You have to click on the blue note symbol to start playback of each movement. Or you can right-click and chose 'save as' or something like that!  ;) :)
It's however not a 'recording' but a midi.

albion

Ah! Thanks very much - listening now!

Mark Thomas

Thanks Mathias, it's not the most accessible site!

Steppenwolf

actually it's an mp3 file, not a midi. Of course, it's not a real interpretation, but so far, it's the only form to know this work  :)