Something contemporary and lovely...

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 19 December 2011, 20:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

How about this lovely-sounding VC from contemporary Russian composer Igor Raykhelson on a forthcoming Toccata CD...?
http://www.toccataclassics.com/cddetail.php?CN=TOCC0130

Alan Howe

Having finally received the CD, I can honestly say that it contains some of the loveliest, most melodious music being written in our day. The Violin Concerto of 2007 is written in an idiom that admirers of the VCs of Prokofiev, Barber, Korngold, Veale, etc. would recognise straight away. It's absolutely gorgeous. Combine that with some jazz elements (à la Walton, perhaps) and this is surely one of the most attractive VCs to have been composed in the modern era. Backward-looking? Perhaps - but only to make use of the tradition in a new and fresh way. Wonderful.

More on the Viola Concerto (2005) which is also on the disc in due course...

Alan Howe

...well, the Viola Concerto is less straightforwardly neo-romantic in style, being rather darker in tone (as befits the solo instrument); nevertheless the slow (third) movement - an homage to Rachmaninov - is perhaps the most glorious offering on the whole CD. And the finale is the most obviously jazz-influenced and unbuttoned movement from either work. So, overall the Viola Concerto is a work of greater contrasts.

This is a must-buy for lovers of memorable contemporary music and a veritable triumph for Toccata Classics.

Mark Thomas

DennisS

I have played this CD quite a few times now and have to say that I hugely enjoy both of the Raykhelson concertos on this CD. I fully concur with Alan's comments - both concertos are indeed gorgeous. I too particularly enjoy the slow movement of the viola concerto - an homage to Rachmaninov- and I know I will listen to this CD often. One of the best CDS of contemporary classical music I have heard. Surely a must buy CD!
Cheers
Dennis