Hrm, also in the Naxos 2012 listings-

Started by eschiss1, Tuesday 03 January 2012, 23:13

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Another recording of Weinberg's 6th symphony... (yet another recording, maybe, from my point of view- not really; I think it's good that there'll be a recording at Naxos' price, hopefully a good performance too.)

Mykulh

Where did you get this information about a new Weinberg 6th Symphony from Naxos? Please satisfy my discographic curiosity!

eschiss1

Like another post here, it too was "obtained" from the latter part of this PDF: Naxos 2011/12 Catalogue. Pardon the Cats!

Mark Thomas

Where do I find the Naxos 2012 listings, please?

Mykulh

Thanks Eric. I found the Naxos 2012 list from the indicated link. A pdf will appear and to find the 2012 releases you have to go to the end of the document. There are lots of interesting recordings here so let's hope they will all see the light of day.

albion

Thanks for explaining where the information was! It looks as though Naxos will be re-issuing the deleted Collins Classics recordings of symphonies by Peter Maxwell Davies, with numbers 1-5 listed and differently coupled compared to their original incarnations -

Symphony No.1; Mavis in Las Vegas
BBC PO/ Maxwell Davies

Symphony No.2; St Thomas Wake
BBC PO/ Maxwell Davies

Symphony N0.3; Cross Lane Fair
BBC PO/ Maxwell Davies

Symphony No.4; Symphony No.5
Scottish CO, Philharmonia/ Maxwell Davies

I don't have any of these, so this will be a good opportunity for me to get to know the bulk of his symphonic cycle.

:)

Hopefully Naxos also intend to re-issue the remaining Collins recordings in due course, including Symphony No.6 and the Trumpet Concerto.

Gareth Vaughan

I'd like to know when Naxos are going to complete their recordings of Ries PCs. The last volume is a long time appearing!

eschiss1

if you download the pdf in the right viewer (Google Chrome works) it's a searchable PDF, unlike some, so just searching for "2012" worked, didn't have to (trundle?) down to the end manually, for what it's worth :)

Mark Thomas

Thanks. It's not complete. There's a CD of Raff's piano music coming out in April for instance.

Dundonnell

Having tried four times now to download the wretched thing I am in a state of mixed fury and irritation >:( >:(

Dundonnell

Hmmmm....I finally got the 2011 Catalogue from the Naxos site itself and, yes, you have to scroll to the end of the document to find 2012 Releases ::)

What I found most interesting was the projected release of a cd containing-

"Harris Symphonies Nos. 2 and 3": Madeleine Pierard/Auckland Philharmonic Orchestra/Marko Letonja"

Now which Harris would this be? Clearly not Roy since there are no soloists in either Roy Harris's 2nd or 3rd Symphonies and Madeleine Pierard is a soprano. I wasn't even aware there was an Auckland Philharmonic Orchestra :o

Naxos can be infuriating at times ::)

Apart from the Maxwell Davies-which I have already in their Collins cd incarnations-there doesn't appear to be much British music in these listings.

britishcomposer

Quote from: Dundonnell on Wednesday 04 January 2012, 20:08
"Harris Symphonies Nos. 2 and 3": Madeleine Pierard/Auckland Philharmonic Orchestra/Marko Letonja"

Now which Harris would this be? Clearly not Roy since there are no soloists in either Roy Harris's 2nd or 3rd Symphonies and Madeleine Pierard is a soprano. I wasn't even aware there was an Auckland Philharmonic Orchestra :o

Colin, I googled for 'Harris Symphonies 2 3 Pierard' and got this:
http://www.rossharris.co.nz/Coming%20and%20Recent%20Events/coming.html

;D

TerraEpon

There are a LOT of releases which look like more reissues of Delos recordings -- the Hovhaness stuff for instance.

eschiss1

Ah. I've heard of Ross Harris, I think I have (but have not yet heard - soon though) a work of his called In memory.
Others (well, not regulars here) would probably be confused by the Franck listing (there having been a number of composers Franck from early-music days (Melchior) to more recently, and the one listed being Eduard, not César, but only last name is given. Still...)

Dundonnell

Quote from: britishcomposer on Wednesday 04 January 2012, 20:32
Quote from: Dundonnell on Wednesday 04 January 2012, 20:08

Colin, I googled for 'Harris Symphonies 2 3 Pierard' and got this:
http://www.rossharris.co.nz/Coming%20and%20Recent%20Events/coming.html

;D

Thanks for that, Matthias :)

Ross Harris eh ::)  Where do Naxos find these composers ;D  It would be nice(r) if they were to continue their so-called "Roy Harris Complete Symphonies" cycle :(