News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Musical storms

Started by febnyc, Saturday 14 January 2012, 18:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimfin

Dundonnell, your weight and value are inestimably high: the joy your uploads have given me in the last few weeks I can scarcely express.

Dundonnell

Ooohh....Thanks, Jim :-[ ;D

As I have said before ::) the really important thing is to get the all this music living and breathing again by having it on this site for others to hear and keep if they so wish. I read only last night a post I made on another site three years ago where I referred wistfully to having certain British symphonies on old and "unplayable" tapes. Well...the "unplayable" proved to be untrue :) :) :)

Dundonnell

Quote from: Lionel Harrsion on Tuesday 17 January 2012, 10:24
Quote from: Dundonnell on Monday 16 January 2012, 22:36
Aahh :(

The recording I have is the Vivian Dunn/City of Birminghjam SO performance. This has never been transferred to cd so if there is any interest in it then I can certainly upload the performance now that I have digitised it ???
I would be very interested and I'd bet I'm not alone!  Thank you.  :)

"Links to Sullivan's Incidental Music to "The Tempest" and also Overture "In Memoriam" sent to Albion. Should be available soon."

No :( :( That promise too will have to be withdrawn. Apparently the Dunn performances have been issued on cd.

Profuse Apologies :-[ :-[

albion

Yes, Dunn's performances (Suites from The Tempest and The Merchant of Venice together with the Overture In Memoriam) have been repeatedly coupled on CD with the Malcolm Sargent comic opera recordings (EMI) and still are.

reiger

How about "Cloudburst" from Grofe's Grand Canyon Suite; and "Sand Storm" from his Death Valley Suite.

minacciosa

The major portion of Henry Hadley's tone poem The Ocean is given to depiction of a storm, and a great rattling one it is. Delius early opera The Magic Fountain features a storm in the opening, but it is rather mild by comparison with others.

minacciosa

Philip Sainton's tone poem The Island is a gorgeous work with a central storm section. Remarkable music.

reiger

Quote from: minacciosa on Thursday 17 May 2012, 16:57
Philip Sainton's tone poem The Island is a gorgeous work with a central storm section. Remarkable music.

... which reminds me of the first movement, "Shipwreck", from Ernst Bacon's The Enchanted Island (1954), based on Shakespeare's Tempest.

BerlinExpat

Mostly 'unsung' apart from Cavalleria rusticana, this Interludio orchestrale between the last two scenes of the third act of Mascagni's (1863-1945) Nerone is in fact a raging storm for which he also wrote a text!
As far as I know this orchestral piece is not available separately and is only to be heard on the Bongiovani recording of the complete opera: GB 2052/53-2. That sure is a pity!

MikeW

Jean-Féry Rebel's Chaos movement from The Elements / Les Elemens provides a storm at the start of creation. His 4 Seasons has a more conventional summer storm.

I also tripped over a YouTube playlist of 17-18th century musical storms: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA68368CB94C303E6 with many examples by Rameau, Boyce, Linley, Telemann - a mix of sung and unsung. Apologies if their era is musically inappropriate for this forum.

BerlinExpat

I have just bought a whole Storm Symphony, number 7 by the Dane Paul von Klenau. It's on dacapo 8.224183 and the cd also includes the lovely orchestral song cycle for contralto and orchestra Gespräche mit dem Tod.

Having heard this and the other dacapo cd of the 1st and 5th symphonie I cannot understand why von Klenau is so "unsung". Despite tendencies towards his own form of twelve-tone composition, he really is a full-bloodied late romantic. Give him a go!

eschiss1

Klenau may be best known as the target of criticism in a brief article-let that turned up in Schoenberg's collection of essays "Style and Idea" (see also this. And I like Schoenberg's music but his criticism was perhaps rather unfair even then... though both composers were in unusual circumstances, to put it mildly, I suspect.)

Fortunately, dacapo has begun to do a bit to broadcast Klenau's works in various genres (symphonic, chamber, I think operatic also) and from what little I know of his music I hope they will continue to do so.

Elroel

So far I didn't see Johan Wagenaar mentioned, if I'm right. There is a Storm chorus in part II of the comic cantata The Shipwreck (1889) and he used storm instruments as well.
I remembered having this lp after all the heavy weather you offered. The lp is from a very obscure (at least to me) Dutch label. If not on cd I'll post this

Elroel

J.Z. Herrenberg

There is a storm in Havergal Brian's Symphony No. 10, with wind and thunder machines doing their bit...

Dundonnell

Quote from: BerlinExpat on Friday 29 June 2012, 08:06
I have just bought a whole Storm Symphony, number 7 by the Dane Paul von Klenau. It's on dacapo 8.224183 and the cd also includes the lovely orchestral song cycle for contralto and orchestra Gespräche mit dem Tod.

Having heard this and the other dacapo cd of the 1st and 5th symphonie I cannot understand why von Klenau is so "unsung". Despite tendencies towards his own form of twelve-tone composition, he really is a full-bloodied late romantic. Give him a go!

I tried to stir up interest in von Klenau sometime ago with linited success:

http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,1571.msg18408.html#msg18408

I do wholeheartedly agree with your assessment :)