Czerny Symphony No2 & Psalm 130 etc

Started by Martin Eastick, Wednesday 18 January 2012, 10:53

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Comparisons of works like this and Lachner 6 with Beethoven's and Schubert's 9th (especially their length :) ) seem to come to my mind immediately but so does the fact that the composers probably only knew those works from knowing their composers - Schubert's 9th wasn't premiered for some while after either symphony, Beethoven's 9th I think either (in both cases posthumously? )

JimL

Quote from: eschiss1 on Friday 03 February 2012, 01:54
Comparisons of works like this and Lachner 6 with Beethoven's and Schubert's 9th (especially their length :) ) seem to come to my mind immediately but so does the fact that the composers probably only knew those works from knowing their composers - Schubert's 9th wasn't premiered for some while after either symphony, Beethoven's 9th I think either (in both cases posthumously? )
Beethoven's 9th premiered posthumously?  Hardly, dear friend.  Know you not the famous tale of Beethoven, quite deaf by now, thinking he was conducting the premiere of the 9th in 1824, while the actual duties fell to the concertmaster of the orchestra, who turned the still conducting composer around after the end to face the wildly cheering crowd?

Schubert's Great C Major, on the other hand, did not see the concert hall until 1839, fully 11 years after Franz Peter's demise.

Alan Howe

It seems to me that there is a peculiarly Austrian line of composers of expansive symphonies: Czerny, Schubert, Lachner, Rufinatscha, Bruckner. Discuss...

Mark Thomas

eschiss1

My mistake re Beethoven- not sure what I was misremembering or if I was thinking at all.

terry martyn

I know that Botstein's Czerny is still available for download, but does anyone know if it was ever released as a CD?

Martin Eastick

I'm almost certain that this was never released as a CD, which I would certainly buy if it were the case. As mentioned before, these are rather splendid works indeed.

eschiss1

Oddly I have always had the odd feeling that the reason the 1814 was called "No.2" was that the people who let that mistake slide by, may have simply assumed that it was the same as, or an early version of, Op.781 in D --- and not have even checked. Which is unlikely, but possible.

terry martyn

You are not alone. I have had exactly the same thoughts.