News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Sterndale Bennett & others

Started by Gareth Vaughan, Tuesday 03 November 2009, 11:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Pengelli

Oh good,more Frederic Cowen,at last!! Another composer who,like
Holbrooke, I have pestered record companies to record.......

Pengelli

An article by,Frederic Cowen,entitled, 'Long hair & music' (1907),
is for sale on ebay,if anyone's interested...............

Gareth Vaughan

Thanks very much, Mark. I've downloaded the score, which Mike Spring already has. He thinks it may be a bit short as a filler for the Pixis disk, but he hopes to find a place for it in the RPC series somewhere. I think the Aloys Schmitt might be the best choice: the MS score and parts are in Fleisher, so there'll be no problems getting hold of the performance material.
Mike also confirmed that he has not been able to loocate the MacFarren concerto. One would think that it ought to be at the RAM, with the rest of MacFarren's MSS - but it's not.

Martin Eastick

Re a suitable filler for the Pixis

There is some George MacFarren material in the Cambridge University Library, I have been given to understand from a reliable source - has anyone checked this out - however I do not think any piano concerto of his would be a suitable companion for the Pixis concerti! - if found there are other far more suitable contenders for a future coulping etc....

The concerto I consider that may be the most appropriate is that by Edouard Wolff - although there is the same old problem with availability of parts etc. I have a printed copy of the first movement - published as his Op39 Allegro de Concert - the titlepage indicates that it forms part of a concerto, and it would complement the Pixis admirably, being stylistically quite similar. Once again, perhaps the BNF may have the required material.......

Also, what about the Dreyschock Op27 Concertstuck, which of course should have been included with his Op137 and the Kullak - could this be an opportunity to correct this oversight! If so, we would still require another short work of at least 10 minutes!

Then there are the concertos etc of Charles Mayer - there is also an earlier work of his - a Grand Rondeau Brillant Op28 which. once again, is not too far removed from the Pixis Op100. Orchestral parts required here I'm afraid though!

However, I DO HAVE the piano part AND complete set of parts for Kreutzer's 1st Concerto - In B flat Op42. That said, in content it really belongs more to an earlier period, although it is quite attractive and tuneful and should fit in to some recording plan somewhere in the not too distant future!

Peter1953

Just a question. Didn't Ludwig Berger (1777-1839) wrote a piano concerto in C Major? Is the full score (piano and orchestra) known?
I'm thinking of Berger because, after hearing so many fine, unsung piano sonatas, I still think his Grande Sonate op. 7 is one of the most impressive pieces in this genre. What a concerto he must have composed, that is to say if it's in the same brilliant, melodic style, full of depth and passion, as his wonderful sonata. If the full score still exists, wouldn't that fit with the Pixis? Or for another RPC series release, coupled with the Kreutzer?

Gareth Vaughan

Berger first. Yes, he did. Mike Spring gave me a copy of the piano part. But I have failed to find any orchestral material.
As to Dreyschock, the Concert Piece in C minor + the Salut de Vienne, for piano, triangle and strings, the full score of which I have, would be good fillers for the Pixis - but I'll have a hard time persuading Mike that they are worth recording!
I've been looking for the orchestral material for Edouard Wolff's concerto for a while. I've tried the BNF but the so-and-so's won't respond to my enquiries.
Charles Mayer - I've never searched for the orchestral material for any of his concertante works, Again, BNF might well have something. However, beware! There were 2 Charles Mayers who wrote piano music. The dates of the first are 1799-1862. I don't know the dates of the other, but he was definitely later. These are frequently confused. I am, for example, a little suspicious of a "Concerto Symphonique" by Charles Mayer, the Ms score and parts of which are in the Fleisher Collection, ascribed to the earlier Mayer. Without seeing the work, it is difficult to tell, but the title "Concerto Symphonique" was, I believe, invented by Litolff and I'm not sure it was used by other composers until after Mayer's dates (I may be wrong, of course). Certainly, the later Mayer wrote a Concerto Symphonique, Op. 89 (piano part in LC) which was published in 1870. The latest composition by this later Charles Mayer, held in LC, is dated 1911. To add to the confusion, not all the piano pieces available online at the IMSLP, which lumps them altogether on one page, ascribing them to the earlier Mayer, are by that composer - some are definitely later. And the picture of Charles Mayer which appears on that page is definitely not of the earlier Mayer; his clothes and hairstyle are those of a later period.
The Kreutzer sounds fascinating but he did write in a more classical vein.
I shall definitely write to Cambridge University Library about the MacFarren works - I presume we are talking about MSS here because their holdings of printed works would appear on the COPAC, and there's no MacFarren concerto listed there.
I should add that the Mayer Concerto Symphonique in Fleisher is scored for the classical orchestra with the addition of trombones, and is in 3 movts (Allegro - Andante quasi allegretto - Allegro). It is 194pp in length, which makes it almost as long as the MS of the 3rd Litolff concerto symphonique, which is in 4 movts.

JimL

I would be interested in the original version of the Dreyschock Konzertstuck, even if Frank Cooper's modest emendations improved upon it. 

Peter1953

Thanks for your interesting and informative post, Gareth.

Mark Thomas

Absolutely.

With the very greatest respect for Mike Spring, may his efforts be blessed in Heaven, I can never understand his antipathy to Dreyschock's Konzertstuck. I have to accept, of course, that it isn't a masterpiece, but it is so much more an enjoyable work than the Piano Concerto, which I'm afraid I find vapidly full of "noodling" and quite devoid of melodic interest. Having loved the Konzerstuck since I bought the Genesis LP in the arly 1970s, I had eagerly awaited the Piano Concerto's release by Hyperion and can't really recall a more crushing musical disappointment.

Gareth Vaughan

I do agree, Mark. While I enjoy Dreyschock's PC, the Konzertstuck is lyrically superior - a most attractive piece.

Lew

Hello friends.

A couple of concertante possibilities - not so far recorded, as far as I know, are by Jan Vaclav Vorisek: Bravura Variations Op 14 for piano and orchestra and a Grand rondeau concertant in D for piano, violin, 'cello and orchestra Op 25. Both date from about 1820.

Of the many concertante works by J.W.Kalliwoda, there is a Grand Rondo Op 16, for piano and orchestra (1830) that would, I am certain, reward a revival.

I don't know whether reliable scores of the above three works are accessible, however.

Lew

thalbergmad

For the early romantics, Norbert Burgmuller and Dohler are the first ones that come to mind. The Burgmuller has been recorded before, but the Dohler has not (I think) and is an impressive piece.

Not sure of the levels of romanticism (or dates) but could consider concerti by Corri, Cramer, Czerny, GG Ferrari, G E Griffin, A F C Kollmann, Kreutzer, Kufferath, Lessel, J B Logier, Parish Alvars, Ries, Street, Tomasek & Waley.

The shorter works for piano and orchestra are almost beyond numbers, but the Grande Fantasy Norvege by Willmers, Norma Variations by Nicolai (recently recorded) and Les Clochettes by Adolfo Fumagalli are great fun.

God only knows where the parts are for these. Personally, i actively avoid them as costs for ordering copies from some libraries are rather expensive.

Mr Spring has at least another 50 years worth ;D

Thal

chill319

Have you considered the Norbert Burgmueller concerto?

Gareth Vaughan

What we need are names PLUS location of orchestral material. A bit of research assistance would be greatly appreciated.
The Ries concertos are being done by Naxos. Waley is far too late (score and parts in RAM). No orchestral material available for Griffin or Parish-Alvars. Cramer too early, likewise Kreutzer (at least in style). The Street concertos are too late, and are pretty poor stuff anyway. Czerny I've mentioned before. The Logier concerto (Op. 13) is 1815 - a bit early, and no orchestral parts immediately available (pub. Clementi). Montague Corri is like Cramer - representative of an earlier age - besides no concertante piano works available in UK collections. Fumagalli's Les Clochettes is 1848 - orchestral material available in Milan and Bologna.

thalbergmad