BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Sterndale Bennett & others

Started by Gareth Vaughan, Tuesday 03 November 2009, 11:55

Previous topic - Next topic

thalbergmad

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Friday 06 November 2009, 21:54
Montague Corri is like Cramer - representative of an earlier age

I was referring to Philip Antony Corri, but i did not make this clear.

Thal

Gareth Vaughan

Thanks. Philip Antony Corri's Concerto da Camera is 1813 - a bit early - though BL has parts. I suspect, like Kreutzer, it's a backward looking piece. Most British music of this period tended to be "classical" in style. Also, it has to be said, rather feeble, by and large. It was not a high point in the history of British music!

thalbergmad

I have not looked at the Corri for yonks, but i expect you are correct.

Perhaps a Dussek concerto might fit the bill. Wrong timeframe, but with a romantic feel. I have found about 13 of them, but never looked for any parts.

Thats it from me. I have done my work for Hyperion and happily retire.

Thal

JimL

Dussek is also too early, if we're still talking about partnering Pixis.  Did Franz Hunten compose any concertos?

edurban

Here in the States Sig. Corri is better known as Arthur Clifton, of course, and Mary Louise Boehm, Kees Kooper et al, performed his delightful Concerto di camera at Kaufman Concert Hall here in NYC back in March of 1985...  It is scored for piano, string quartet and flute and strongly Classical in style (the program notes say it was written 1812,) but well worth performing.  I helped put the program together and it seems to me that we got our parts at Library of Congress, but I may be misremembering that part.

The rest of the concert might be of interest to fans of unsungs.  All composers were American, by birth or adoption.  It began with the Clifton (1784-1832), then there was a group of songs by Griffes (1884-1920), then 3 movements from a C.M. Loeffler (1861-1935) Partita for violin and piano, Then Mrs. Beach (1867-1944) Romance for violin and piano and an African Dance by William Grant Still (1895-1978), the Dance of the Naiads (Gavotte) for flute and string quartet by Homer N. Bartlett (1845-1920) [I dug up the Bartlett and copied the parts...it was a lovely little piece and well received]  then the Theme and Variations for flute and string quartet by Mrs. Beach, and the super-rarity of the evening, the Concerto de chambre, Op.26 for violin, piano, doublebass and string quartet by Blair Fairchild (1877-1933)

David

Gareth Vaughan

Quote from: thalbergmad on Friday 06 November 2009, 22:27
Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Friday 06 November 2009, 21:54
No orchestral material available for Griffin or Parish-Alvars.

http://lib.ram.ac.uk/uhtbin/cgisirsi.exe/Vvp2JvFSrm/0/289640004/9

There is my research for the day.

Thal

The link you give is to a blank page on the RAM Library site with a message saying your session has timed out. What is it you found, please, Thal?

thalbergmad

Oops, I forgot that the search times out. It looks like the RAM has the full works to the Parish Alvars Concerto.

I never bothered ordering this as i bought the solo version from Floraleda Sacchi the harpist.

Thal

thalbergmad

If it helps, here is my list of scores for works for piano and orchestra. With thanks to many helpful librarians and individuals. Not completely up to date, but most of it is there.

http://rapidshare.com/files/303592999/Concertos_of_the_CPS.pdf

Regretfully, when i started this list, i did not bother to insert any dates which I wish i had done.

I cannot help but feel that the orchestra takes a very minor role in a lot of works of the era in question. Perhaps some amateur musician who would like his mugshot on the insert of a Hyperion CD could put something together from the tuttis marked on the pieces scored for solo piano?

Being a non musician, I do not know if this is possible.

Thal

thalbergmad

As for the Hartknoch, there are 2 entries of the 2nd concerto in the old Hofmeister Catalogue. Not sure if one of these is for the full score.

http://www.hofmeister.rhul.ac.uk/2008/content/database/search

http://www.hofmeister.rhul.ac.uk/2008/content/database/search/page(1);jsessionid=C4BFBDE14DD4FFB9FBDB95F9BDF7CCB4.balancer3

I suspect the parts are in are in the Austrian National Library, but they do not show up on their web catalogue. Perhaps they are hidden away on some old card system.

http://www.onb.ac.at/

There is a librarian there called Elizabeth Navratnil Wagner who's e mail i have somewhere. She has helped me on a couple of occasions, so i do not really want to ask for more assistance. She does not like to converse in English, so perhaps someone fluent in German could drop her a line.

Somebody, somewhere has this.

Thal

Peter1953

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Thursday 05 November 2009, 09:50
Dreyschock's Konzertstuck. I have to accept, of course, that it isn't a masterpiece, but it is so much more an enjoyable work than the Piano Concerto, which I'm afraid I find vapidly full of "noodling" and quite devoid of melodic interest. Having loved the Konzerstuck since I bought the Genesis LP in the arly 1970s, I had eagerly awaited the Piano Concerto's release by Hyperion and can't really recall a more crushing musical disappointment.

I cannot say I agree with you, Mark. I don't think Dreyschock's PC is that bad at all. It's not a masterpiece of course, but I like listening to it. The number that "stays in the box" is 22, the Busoni PC. What a strange work. Despite all the enthusiastic reviews, it never dawned upon me and I've given up. But this is off-topic.

Mark Thomas

Fair enough, Peter, we're all entitled to our opinions, especially when they are on as subjective a topic as music. I suppose the issue for me isn't so much the absolute merit of the Piano Concerto as the relative merits of it and the Konzerstuck.

Peter1953

I understand, Mark. Unfortunately I've never heard Dreyschock's Konzertstück, therefore I can only hope it will be recorded and released.

JimL

Maybe Bob Commagere can be persuaded to re-release the Raff/Dreyschock in CD format.  It's good to know Genesis is still up and around.

thalbergmad

He did give me permission to digitalise the LP a while ago and post it privately.

I will ask him to see if he will allow me to post it here.

Thanks to Alan for changing my posts so the links are "clickable". I have no idea how to do this.

Thal

Alan Howe

To make a link 'clickable', simple highlight it and then click on the 'Insert hyperlink' button - i.e. the one second from the left on the lower row.