News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Felicien David

Started by petershott@btinternet.com, Friday 03 February 2012, 20:11

Previous topic - Next topic

petershott@btinternet.com

Ambroisie are set to release a CD of the Quatuor Cambini (Paris) performing two string quartets of Felicien David at the end of February.

I don't know these quartets - and indeed I'm ignorant of any other works by David other than two Piano Trios on a Marco Polo disc (which proved delightful). Anyone know whether the quartets are any good?

And to put a second question: I note the Quatuor Cambini also have a disc of quartets by Hyacinthe Jadin. Again, any good? Would I be a dreadfully naive fellow in supposing that because the Jadin quartets are contemporary with the final quartets of Haydn and (so I've read) that he adopted the form of the Haydn quartets as a model, then they must have some interest and merit?

Apologies - two separate questions in a single post. Must learn to make distinctions!

eschiss1

I think David is best(?) known for (works like) an oratorio, Le Désert, an ode composed in 1844 or so (and recorded awhile back also).  Don't know the quartets. (IMSLP does have the trios and some vocal works.)
Jadin, a member of a musical family, is late-classical and from what I have seen (I forget if I have heard any of his works- several of his and his relatives' works have been recorded) fairly good.

mikehopf

The recent recording of David's String Quartets Nos 1,2 & 4 are excellent! Well recommended.

Also recommended, Les Quatre Saisons: String Quartets by David for each season.

Alan Howe

What are David's string quartets like?

Mark Thomas

Indeed. Although I have really enjoyed Le Désert over the years, I've found the rest of David's music which I've encountered a mite perfumed and insipid.

Peter1953

£2.75 only. This is my bargain of the year (and still 10 months to come)... David's Piano Trios Nos. 2&3 on MP. What a most delightful chamber music. Not the usual nice stuff, but to my ears these works have something of their own. Tuneful, well developed and joyous melodies (how original and memorable is the 1st movement of the 2nd) which makes me as a listener curious about his other music. The string quartets and quintet are already on my want list, but I wonder how his 3 symphonies are? Yes, this David looks like a trouvaille to me. For more info see Wikipedia.

eschiss1

Huh? The Worldcat listing shows David's "Les Quatre Saisons" as a series of string quintets with bass (published ca.1846), not quartets. I wonder what's up?

Peter1953

Yes Eric, that's true. I have the double CD. Les Quatre Saisons is indeed for two violins, viola, cello and double bass, as the title page of the score, illustrated in the booklet notes, also shows. The work is dated by David from 1842 to 1844. BTW, lovely chamber music.

FBerwald

I just listened to Les Quatre Saisons. Charming unpretentious pieces. The recording is only a selection of the 24 quintets. Hope someone will record them all someday. :)

Gauk

Les Quatre Saisons are available on Spotify, for those that have it, as is  Le Désert and Brises d'Orient. David seldom rises above the category of salon music, but pleasant enough all the same.