News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Rufinatscha PC

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 06 November 2009, 17:31

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

I'm with you, Alan.  Only this will be my Schumann PC recording, too.  Hopefully it will be a good performance as well.

febnyc

Quote from: JimL on Wednesday 11 November 2009, 21:16
Besides, I've never been satisfied with the solo/tutti balance in any of the performances of the Schumann that I've ever heard.  Maybe a period instrument performance with a smaller orchestra will provide the proper sound. 

You want to hear the Schumann on a real piano, supported by a full-sized orchestra?  With a darn good balance?

Try one or both of these:

Zimerman/BPO/von Karajan - on Deutsche Grammophon
Michelangeli/NYPO/Mitropoulos - on ASDisc

I'd bet you would have no nits to pick over either performance.

JimL

Maybeso.  But now I'm more curious than ever to hear how the work sounds on a period instrument with orchestral forces that are more likely to be those found in local orchestras when the work was new.  That, and the Rufinatscha are the selling points to me.

Alan Howe

I have Zimerman's performance: it's extremely indulgent. Try Andsnes with Jansons on EMI...

febnyc

Quote from: Alan Howe on Thursday 12 November 2009, 12:12
I have Zimerman's performance: it's extremely indulgent. Try Andsnes with Jansons on EMI...

Thank you, Alan.  You never fail to do a one-up on any recording I mention.  Well, I am benefiting from your superior knowledge and, at the same time, I marvel at your ability to take an opinion and state it as fact.  Beautifully done!

I wonder, if I have the temerity to make another suggestion on this site, whether you will continue to bat 1.000 in debunking it?  No doubt your consistent ripostes, mild but so definite, will come.  And I am surprised you use the first person singular, and not the royal we.

Alan Howe

My opinion of Zimerman's CD - which I actually love - is shared by most commentators I have read. And facts, in this case, are facts; here are the timings:

Zimerman: 15:31/5:26/10:38
Andsnes: 14:33/5:07/10:13

The differences are quite obvious.

Sometimes opinions can be backed up by objective facts - as here. And notice, I didn't rubbish Zimerman's performance with Karajan. I just said it was indulgent. For a more 'central' performance, Andsnes is likely to please rather more people - that's all.

Finally, sarcasm is no substitute for engaging with the facts. You were the one to suggest two performances of the Schumann, one of which is distinctly slow - and people should know that before they accept your recommendation. 

Peter1953

Today my new Rufinatscha CD arrived. I've listened to it twice, of course also including the Schumann, and must say that I'm extremely happy with it.
It's a registration of a feast (or celebration) concert "Piano Concerts of the Romantic Period" held on 11th and 12th July 2009. The concert consisted of 3 works by Rufinatscha and Schumann's PC. Hence another Schumann. The CD ends with an applause, but I like to give the applause to the producer, Manfred Schneider.

Rufinatscha's wonderful PC (definitely a masterpiece, it's impossible to forget the gorgeous main theme of the 1st movement) is sandwiched between two overtures, of which the Ouverture dramatique impresses me most. Both the orchestra and the solist, Michael Schöch, gave a very fine performance. The fact that the Orchester der Akademie St. Blasius is a small orchestra, and the piano used is an ancient Conrad Graf pianoforte (1838), is absolutely not disturbing, at least to me. Of course, a large orchestra and a modern piano sound different and is preferred, but this one is nice to hear as well. How would Rufinatscha review this performance? I think he would be satisfied.

And the Schumann? I cannot hear or say anything unfriendly or negative about this magnificent concerto. And the performance on this disc is very fine. Michael Schöch (b. 1985) surely knows how to play Schumann.

In short: a wonderful CD and for most (if not all) Forum members a must-buy. You won't be disappointed.

JimL

Well, I just ordered this, and it'll cost me a pretty penny or two.  But Rufinatscha is definitely worth it!

JimL

Wow!  It arrived yesterday.  That was fast!  Put it in my car last night.  Been listening to it as I can.  Sounds promising so far.  More on this later.

thalbergmad

Well, I have got to wait until Christmas Day, so I hope it is worth it.

I will probably not play it in my car. The Bortkiewicz almost got me a speeding ticket once.

I don't think the Courts would accept " I got a bit excited during the cadenza"

Thal

wunderkind

The Tiroler Landesmuseum is having their year-end sale on their CDs, selling at roughly half the regular price.  Even though, this year, the CD-shop website does not reflect this, I am assured that the lower price will be applied at the point of sale.

I just ordered three discs for a total of about €35 (including shipping cost - in this case to the USA).

JimL

Aw, crap!  I shouldda waited!  I ended up spending 15 Euros (it was listed at 18.)  I could have saved more!  No matter.  I'm impressed enough with the work that I'll post an analysis after I've fully assimilated it (and the overtures).

JimL

Quote from: thalbergmad on Thursday 10 December 2009, 12:59
The Bortkiewicz almost got me a speeding ticket once.

I don't think the Courts would accept " I got a bit excited during the cadenza"
Must have been Bortkiewicz PC 1.  That's the only one with a cadenza, as I recall. :)

JimL

Okay, getting back to Rufinatscha.  I'm still getting my internet hooked up on my computer at home after my move, so I can't give my full analysis of the work yet, but can anybody PLEASE tell me what is going on with that first theme you hear in the finale?  As near as I can figure out it sounds like it starts out with three (count'em THREE) bars of 4/4 meter, then abruptly switches into 3/4 time.  Which gives it a) a highly idiosyncratic phrase structure and b) a really knotty hitch in its metric giddyup.  I love this finale tremendously while finding it slightly disappointing at the same time.  Here is an example of a Romantic era finale that actually understays its welcome.  The transition between slow movement and finale is most ingenious, and its recapitulation in the finale bears some resemblance to a similar spot in Beethoven's Emperor.  Rufi does quite a bit of innovative stuff in the first movement, too.  Lotta great music and clever organization in this piece.  Which is what I've come to expect of Rufinatscha by now.

Peter1953

I know what you mean, Jim. I've just listened to this particular movement again. But isn't it just creative craftmanship of a genius? It's surprising, and that's one of the reasons why I like it very much. It's so Rufinatscha.

By the way, look at the written scores by Rufinatscha (some of which are illustrated in several booklets), and you will see what a beautiful, clear and elegant handwriting he had. I believe this says something about Rufinatscha's accuracy. He knew very well what he did.