Czech Symphonists post 1900.

Started by Dundonnell, Friday 10 February 2012, 23:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

It is rather odd that although we have a reasonably substantial Czech Music folder we are not well off in a number of the more 'conservative' Czech symphonists born after 1900 singled out for detailed discussion by Mark Morris in his superb 'Dictionary of Twentieth Century Composers'.

The first names that Morris selected were the reasonably well-known Miloslav Kabelac(1908-79) and Viktor Kalabis(1923-2006). Kabelac is the composer of one of my all-time favourite pieces of 20th century music, the absolutely marvellous Passacaglia for large orchestra "Mystery of Time"(available on cd and a work of quite stunning power and grandeur :)))  Kalabis's orchestral works have fared very well on cd.

Morris though went on to discuss Isa Krejci(1904-68): 4 symphonies(No.2 on cd and also available here); Jan Karpr(1914-88): 10 symphonies;  Jan Hanus(1915-2004): 7 symphonies(No. 2 on cd, No.3 available here); Ivo Jirasek(1920-2004): 1 symphony; Jiri Valek(1923-2005): 16 symphonies(No.14 available here);  Jindrich Feld(1925-2007): 3 symphonies; and  Jaromir Podesva(1927-2000): 10 symphonies.

It is so sad that, including Kalabis, six of these Czech symphonists died within seven years of each other between 2000 and 2007.

Between them the group I have highlighted from Krejci to Podesva composed a grand total of 51 symphonies but only three of these are available on this site and-as far as I know-only two are on cd: a quite amazing and shocking statistic :o What are Supraphon thinking of these days >:(

I know that I should put this request in the Download Requests section but if anyone out there has recordings of these composers then....please ??? :))

eschiss1

Have been curious about Feld and worked on the article about him on Wikipedia for awhile (until around the time he died, actually.)

Dundonnell

If you don't know the Kabelac 'Mystery of Time' I raved about in my previous post can I suggest you try listening to it-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kxcD0mU9jo&feature=related

I do find it a work of tremendous power, starting so quietly and growing in intensity to grand brass-filled climaxes ;D

Sydney Grew

I agree with you Mr. Dundonnell about the usefulness of Mark Morris's book. I keep it next to Mr. Lebrecht's indispensable Complete Companion to Twentieth-Century Music. Unfortunately they are both now showing their age, and there is need for a replacement to cover in a similar way the most recent works and developments.

In regard to the Czech symphonists, the Kabelac and Hanus examples I posted come from a group of recordings of broadcasts I made about four years ago. After a while, though, I gave it up, mainly because at that time there were many drop-outs (in about half of my attempts). Recently, after discovering this forum, I have revamped the capture programme, such that there is now on average a drop-out only about once in every ten attempts. That fact, together with the improved data rate (224 kilobits per second as compared to 128 formerly), has encouraged me to start recording again - although it does still happen that a drop-out (specifically "recv reports connection closed by server") can frustratingly come in the middle of a much-anticipated work.

As well as the Mystery of Time, for which I share your admiration, Kabelac later wrote The Mystery of Silence, opus 50, which I have not heard.

Let us then hope that the Czech radio broadcast more of those fascinating symphonies! They do put out a number of songs and chamber works, both by the composers you mention and by many more composers whose names are new to me.

Dundonnell

Following on from my earlier post about the absence of symphonies by Feld, Hanus, Kapr, Krejci, Jirasek, Podesva and Valek from cd it would be worth pointing out that the following symphonies by these composers were issued on LP and would be candidates for upload if anyone has the original LPs:

Jindrich Feld:               Symphony No.1(1967): Supraphon
                                   Symphony No.2(1983): Panton

Jan Hanus:                  Symphony No.5(1964-65): Panton
                                   Symphony No.6(1978): Panton

Ivo Jirasek:                 Symphony "Mother Hope"(1973-74): Supraphon

Jan Kapr:                    Symphony No.7 "The Land of Childhood"(1968): Supraphon

Isa Krejci:                   Symphony No.1(1954-55): Panton
                                   Symphony No.3(1961-63): Panton
                                   Symphony No.4(1961-63): Panton

Jaromir Podesva:        Symphony No.3 "Culmination-The Pearl at the Bottom"(1966): Panton
                                   Symphony No.4 "Sinfonia da Camera"(1967): Supraphon
                                   Symphony No.6(1970): Panton
                                   Symphony No.7 "In Memoriam J.P.jun"(1982-83): Supraphon
                                   Symphony No.8 "Ostrava"(1987): Panton

Jiri Valek:                    Symphony No.5 "Guernica"(1968): Supraphon
                                   Symphony No.6 "Ekpynosis"(1969): Panton
                                   Symphony No.7 "Pompeian Frescoes"(1970): Panton
                                   Symphony No.8 "Hic Sunt Homines"(1971): Supraphon
                                   Symphony No.9 "Renaissance"(1971): Supraphon
                                   Symphony No.11 "Revolutionary"(1974): Panton
                                   Symphony No.12 "Shakespearean"(1975): Panton
                                   Symphony No.13 "Gothic"(1978): Supraphon

To think that all these symphonies are sitting around untransferred to cd is quite unbelieveable ::) I cannot understand why this is still the case.

Surely...someone..... ???

eschiss1

Hrm. I'd recommend using the Archive service to see what they do have (some of it recorded recently) (at APF) but it seems to be down right now. Maybe when it's back up...

eschiss1

As to Feld Symphony 1, it seems a 1970 Heinz Wallberg/Bamberg Symphony recording of that was released on Praga PR 255 001 CD in the 1990s. Is that the one that was on LP?

Dundonnell

Quote from: eschiss1 on Saturday 11 February 2012, 16:23
As to Feld Symphony 1, it seems a 1970 Heinz Wallberg/Bamberg Symphony recording of that was released on Praga PR 255 001 CD in the 1990s. Is that the one that was on LP?

No..different performance.

Sydney Grew

A broadcast of the Fifth Symphony, opus 43, of Viktor Kalabis has come my way - at least that is how it is described in the published schedule. However the announcer says something about "fragment", and the piece lasts just fifteen minutes.

So I am wondering whether this is only one section of the work. Does any one know the timing of this symphony?

Dundonnell

The Kalabis Symphony No.5(1976) is subtitled "Fragment" to underline "its unitary and sculptural charcter"(according to the Praga cd booklet notes).
It is 15 minutes in duration.

Sydney Grew

Ah . . .  that explains it! Many thanks for that.

Latvian

QuoteFollowing on from my earlier post about the absence of symphonies by Feld, Hanus, Kapr, Krejci, Jirasek, Podesva and Valek from cd it would be worth pointing out that the following symphonies by these composers were issued on LP and would be candidates for upload if anyone has the original LPs:

I have most of these, and some others by these composers (and other composers of a similar ilk) not on your list. However, in light of my other commitments, I can't promise to systematically upload them anytime soon. I will happily do one or two as time permits, particularly in response to specific requests from forum members such as yourself, Colin! I agree that there are many, many fine 20th Century Czech composers who deserve representation here. I also share your disappointment with Supraphon's lack of commitment to these composers and their colleagues!

I'm sure other forum members have some of these works as well, so that I don't have to shoulder the entire burden!  ;)

Dundonnell

Quote from: Latvian on Thursday 05 April 2012, 17:48
QuoteFollowing on from my earlier post about the absence of symphonies by Feld, Hanus, Kapr, Krejci, Jirasek, Podesva and Valek from cd it would be worth pointing out that the following symphonies by these composers were issued on LP and would be candidates for upload if anyone has the original LPs:

I have most of these, and some others by these composers (and other composers of a similar ilk) not on your list. However, in light of my other commitments, I can't promise to systematically upload them anytime soon. I will happily do one or two as time permits, particularly in response to specific requests from forum members such as yourself, Colin! I agree that there are many, many fine 20th Century Czech composers who deserve representation here. I also share your disappointment with Supraphon's lack of commitment to these composers and their colleagues!

I'm sure other forum members have some of these works as well, so that I don't have to shoulder the entire burden!  ;)

I fear that your optimism may be misplaced, Maris :( I do know that a couple of members have, between them, the Feld 2nd, Hanus 6th, the Jirasek and the Krejci 2nd but that might be all :(

If I had to begin somewhere  ;D - I might suggest the Hanus 5th and, perhaps, a Valek symphony ???  The others will just have to wait their turn :)

eschiss1

Fairly well-known by now are Kabelac's 3rd and 4th symphonies, but I hope I may recommend them for such as haven't heard them. They're not as often mentioned as his more expressionistic 5th and 8th symphonies- the 4th is a little bit ... neoclassical, sort of (the finale reminds me maybe of an orchestral version- in parts- of the finale of Walton's 2nd string quartet)- his 3rd string quartet for brass, percussion and organ is often dour (but sometimes one's in just the mood to hear such things, and it's done very well, I believe.)
Anyway :)

JimL

Quote from: eschiss1 on Friday 06 April 2012, 04:06...his 3rd string quartet for brass, percussion and organ is often dour...
Is it anything like his piano sonata for three harps and violin? ;D ::)