Czech Symphonists post 1900.

Started by Dundonnell, Friday 10 February 2012, 23:57

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

I meant 3rd symphony for brass, percussion and organ. Zzzz... thanks there.

Dundonnell

Since there has been discussion of Downloads elsewhere......why don't Supraphon make available their back catalogue of LPs of the music of the Czech composers we have beeen talking about as downloads ??? That would-presumably-be cheaper than reissuing them as cds and would surely recoup the cost and make the company at least some profit.

Greg K

Quote from: Dundonnell on Thursday 05 April 2012, 21:59
Quote from: Latvian on Thursday 05 April 2012, 17:48
QuoteFollowing on from my earlier post about the absence of symphonies by Feld, Hanus, Kapr, Krejci, Jirasek, Podesva and Valek from cd it would be worth pointing out that the following symphonies by these composers were issued on LP and would be candidates for upload if anyone has the original LPs:

I have most of these, and some others by these composers (and other composers of a similar ilk) not on your list. However, in light of my other commitments, I can't promise to systematically upload them anytime soon. I will happily do one or two as time permits, particularly in response to specific requests from forum members such as yourself, Colin! I agree that there are many, many fine 20th Century Czech composers who deserve representation here. I also share your disappointment with Supraphon's lack of commitment to these composers and their colleagues!

I'm sure other forum members have some of these works as well, so that I don't have to shoulder the entire burden!  ;)

I fear that your optimism may be misplaced, Maris :( I do know that a couple of members have, between them, the Feld 2nd, Hanus 6th, the Jirasek and the Krejci 2nd but that might be all :(

If I had to begin somewhere  ;D - I might suggest the Hanus 5th and, perhaps, a Valek symphony ???  The others will just have to wait their turn :)

For my part, the Hanus 5th & 6th would be especially desirable (and appreciated).

allison

Hopefully I may supply some works by Jan Hanus for Greg and others interested. The performers if announced are in Czech which I can only slightly understand, and spellings may be wrongful transliterations. The details I have provided are in the names of each track.

Some info on Hanus and some of his works:[url][http://web.archive.org/web/20071029162654/http://www.musica.cz/comp/hanus.htm/url]

The recordings I can see that are available commercially are of Sym no. 2, Salt is Better than Gold, and Symphony Concertante on Supraphon.

The following are concert broadcasts, based on applause at the end :):
Aristophanic Variations for orchestra and piano concertante, Op. 110a
Symphony No. 3 in D minor (The World's Truth), op. 38 1946-57
Three fragments of the Apocalypse, Piano Concerto, Op. 125

I can not find evidence of purchaseable CDs of the following, which seem to be archival performances presented on Vltava:
Symphony No. 7, for orchestra, mixed choir, soprano and baritone solo on Latin sacred texts, op. 116 1989-90
Peter and Lucie, Symphonic Fantasy, Op. 35 based on story of Roland
Symphony No. 1 in E Major for large orchestra and alto solo, on Stabat mater by Jacopon da Todi, op. 12 1942
The Secret Trumpeter, op. 53, based on Whitman
and the last piece of which I can only decipher:
"Symphony for large Orchestra". It is about 31 minutes long, hopefully someone can translate the announcement at the end.

Dundonnell

Many thanks to Elroel for uploading the Jiri Valek Symphony No.7 and the Jaromir Podesva Symphony No.6- two more of the Czech symphonies I identified as having been issued on LP in years gone by :)

.....but there is a problem with the second Podesva file :( I have commented in Czech Music Downloads Discussion thread.)

eschiss1

allison- the APF database has information on many of the Czech radio (Vltava and otherwise) broadcasts.  (It's diacritic-sensitive, so search for Hanuš instead of Hanus, for instance. Apparently 129 recordings related to Hanuš are in the database, some may have him as conductor, etc.) Actually only symphonies 1 and 4 are listed there... hrm. Ah right-

symphony 1 -is- listed - a 2005 radio recording conducted by Marek Valášek. (See this APF node.)

"Symphony for large orchestra" - perhaps symphony no.4 op.49 if the length is about 31 minutes - as you indeed mention it is... hrm! ... check the movement subdivisions too, which APF provides...? See APF node.

Holger

Eric, take a look at the Czech Folder discussion section: we did indeed identify the "Symphony for Large Orchestra" as being his Fourth. :)

Elroel

Friends,

I have a couple of records I will upload soon. I'm right now processing Valek Sym 12. And I give the record with Valek's 11th a new chance, after a good cleaning session. Hopefully it will go in the right direction now.  (Both from Panton)

Do we include Slovak composers as well? In that case I have Andrej Očenáš's impressive symphony 'From the Earth and the People' (if I translate 'O zemi a človeku' properly) to offer.  Personally I feel that we should include Slovak composers in this thread, because not so long ago they belonged to the same state, and many a Slovakian composer did live or at least was taught in Prague.
But, than ag

JimL

Quote from: Elroel on Wednesday 02 May 2012, 14:32
Friends,

I have a couple of records I will upload soon. I'm right now processing Valek Sym 12. And I give the record with Valek's 11th a new chance, after a good cleaning session. Hopefully it will go in the right direction now.  (Both from Panton)

Do we include Slovak composers as well? In that case I have Andrej Očenáš's impressive symphony 'From the Earth and the People' (if I translate 'O zemi a človeku' properly) to offer.  Personally I feel that we should include Slovak composers in this thread, because not so long ago they belonged to the same state, and many a Slovakian composer did live or at least was taught in Prague.
But, than ag
gggggggggggggggh...

And he expired. ;)

Dundonnell

There is actually a separate thread in the Downloads Section for music from Slovak composers :)  I appreciate your point though.

It would certainly be great to get the Valek Symphonies Nos. 11 and 12 :)

Holger

Quote from: Elroel on Wednesday 02 May 2012, 14:32
Friends,

But, than ag

An upload of Očenáš's Symphony would be much appreciated. I have very little by this composer but he seems to be very interesting. Actually, only a few days ago I browsed eBay to check whether there is any chance to pick up this symphony!

Also, as you recently uploaded Podešva's Sixth I wonder whether you could upload its discmate (which should be Matěj's Third) as well.

Dundonnell

It might be worth pointing out that of the 22 Czech symphonies I identified back in February as having been previously issued on LP,  nine have now been uploaded through the generosity of others, and particularly, recently, Elroel.

The nine are Jan Hanus Nos. 5 and 6; Ivor Jirasek "Mother Hope", Jaromir Podesva Nos.6 and 8; and Jiri Valek Nos. 7, 11, 12 and 13.

Still outstanding therefore are Jindrich Feld Nos. 1 and 2; Jan Kapr No. 7; Isa Krejci Nos. 1, 3 and 4; Jaromir Podesva Nos. 3, 4 and 7; Jiri Valek Nos. 5, 6, 8 and  9 ....if anybody has any of these :)

eschiss1

Valek 3 and 6 at least were recorded (I don't see archive recordings of the Podesva or some of the others you list as missing) - Valek 3 for soprano and tenor saxophones and orchestra on the works of S.K. Neumann, a 1974 recording by Edward Fischer, Symfonický orchestr hlavního města Prahy FOK, Jiri Starek (sop. saxophone), Jaroslav Hustoles (tenor sax.), 5 movements. 45 minutes. (See APF.)

Symphony no.6 "Ekpyrosis" for flute, percussion, piano and strings was also recorded in 1974, also has 5 listed sections and lasts 23 minutes. (composer, flute, Fischer again conducting the Pražští komorní sólisté (Prague Chamber Soloists)). See APF again.)

A recording of Feld's first symphony is listed at APF, actually (1968 recording and a remastering of the same)- Alois Klima conducting the Radio Prague Symphony in one (1968), (Prologo/Scherzo/Passacaglia/Intermezzo/Epilogue, 20 minutes 06".)

Krejčí symphony 1 in D - two recordings at APF : 1980 recording by Josef Hrnčíř conducting Radio Prague Symphony: (Lento - Allegro feroce/Allegro (Scherzo)/Allegretto moderato/Allegro vivo) - 24'54". Kukal's 1997 recording of the same work lasts 25'40".)
Krejčí symphony 3 - also recorded by Kukal, in 1998 - Allegro/Scherzino: Presto Prestissimo / Aria: Allegretto moderato / Molto allegro (16'28" in all).

Symphony 4 - Kukal again, 1999 recording -
Lento (non troppo). Allegro feroce      5:45
Moderato (non troppo lento)      5:22
Allegretto vivace. Minuetto (non troppo lento)      2:39
Andante - Mesto (tema con variazioni). Allegro vivo 4:05
(18'05" in all.)
Hopefully the Kukal series at least will be rebroadcast on D-dur sometime, or something :)

Dundonnell

All my information regarding the LP recordings of the symphonies I listed in my earlier post comes from Mike Herman's discography published on Music Web International.

Mykulh

It's nice to be cited once in awhile. It shows my efforts are having some impact

Mike Herman